You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have a Coolscan V for scanning slides. With both VueScan and SilverFast, I save the image as a tiff. Since I have Affinity Photo set as the default program for tiff files, the saved tff automatically opens in Photo. I find that SilverFast is marginally better, but both produce good-quality images.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Does the Nikon Scan software still run on Win (?), I recall that I had to patch it even before Win 10 (former Win times) in order to get it installed at all. - However according to the Affinity supported RAW formats Nikon Coolscan NEF should be supported, though I never tested that. The OP can test the by the scanner software generated NEFs with Nikon ViewNX-i or Capture NX-D, if those can show up and work with the scanner NEF files. Otherwise TIFF is a good option too here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Zaffle77 said:

Bump, is there no official reply to this or do I just go back to paying for photoshop instead of using this program that can't open what it says it should be able to?

Did you upload a sample file as MEB requested above?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

23 hours ago, Zaffle77 said:

Bump, is there no official reply to this or do I just go back to paying for photoshop instead of using this program that can't open what it says it should be able to?

Have you tried exporting your scans as tiffs? Have you tried Vuescan? You can download a free trial. It will also export to a DNG raw file. The cost is considerably less than going back to Photoshop!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

What file size does the NEF file report?

What settings from the scanner are you using to scan these images in?

I know Vuescan Pro can reprocess raw files: https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/html/vuesc15.htm 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 2/16/2019 at 6:18 PM, firstdefence said:

What file size does the NEF file report?

What settings from the scanner are you using to scan these images in?

I know Vuescan Pro can reprocess raw files: https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/html/vuesc15.htm 

For a colour scan, ~130mb is the output, scanned at 5959 by 3946 pixels. Scanner on base settings, digital ICE on. When I try and open in Affinity, it shows a 320x218 pixel file (presumably a thumbnail).