You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all,

When working with crazy amount of layers (PDF imported in this case) it is much faster to select the object in the canvas and not guessing which one is in the Layer list, but the problem comes when I select the object and I want to see where is that layer in the Layers panel, is there any shortcut or any other way to do this?
I hope it makes sense.:D

Cheers,
Juan

• Staff

Hi jc4d :)

You can either right click your object and select Find in Layers Panel or alternatively you can use CTRL/CMD + K with your object selected!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

11 hours ago, jc4d said:

Hi all,

When working with crazy amount of layers (PDF imported in this case) it is much faster to select the object in the canvas and not guessing which one is in the Layer list, but the problem comes when I select the object and I want to see where is that layer in the Layers panel, is there any shortcut or any other way to do this?
I hope it makes sense.:D

Cheers,
Juan

Sorry to hijack your post and thread, Juan, however it seems that your question has been answered.  I am intrigued by the comment above "select the object in the canvas", how do you use the canvas in this way?  Perhaps you mean that the background layer or a merge visible layer is the canvas?  Otherwise how do you do this?  

Cheers, Jim

Jafa - Just Another Fantastic Aucklander

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

Nik Collection and Topaz Denoise AI

Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz    32 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

14 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

You can also turn on Auto Scroll so it happens automatically(xD) without any extra clicks.

Look for the hamburger icon 1564725671_ScreenShot2019-01-15at11_52_28AM.png.a2373aea68bfeab9ed3ea7c35b467fb9.png in the layers panel (or you can do it in Preferences > User Interface)

Thanks for the extra tip JimmyJack, although I didn't know about it I just checked and has been on all the time, so I think is not working properly... could it be that is limited to layers that don't belong to a group? 

Cheers,
Juan

10 hours ago, Jaffa said:

Sorry to hijack your post and thread, Juan, however it seems that your question has been answered.  I am intrigued by the comment above "select the object in the canvas", how do you use the canvas in this way?  Perhaps you mean that the background layer or a merge visible layer is the canvas?  Otherwise how do you do this?  

Cheers, Jim

No problem Jim :),  in my work I usually paint facades and if I want to select one specific window (for example) to move I don't use the layer panel list because those documents are PDF imported into AP so I have no idea where that window layer is in the hierarchy. Therefore, I just click the window (or object that I need to select) in the drawing (what I call the canvas) which is much more faster than searching among 150 layers without names.

I hope this answer your question. :)

Cheers,
juan

• 1 year later...
On 1/16/2019 at 7:59 AM, jc4d said:

Thanks for the extra tip JimmyJack, although I didn't know about it I just checked and has been on all the time, so I think is not working properly... could it be that is limited to layers that don't belong to a group? 

Cheers,
Juan

I have the same problem of the feature being on with no action... Have you solved it?