You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save Failed because ownership of the file could not be verified

17 minutes ago, R C-R said:

As for other brief interruptions, say those that last for no more than a second or two, I would be surprised if the app did not already have a built-in delay before deciding the connection was lost. If not, it should be simple enough to build that into the app.

Surprisingly, it seems is not. My issue while saving on my pCloud virtual drive confirmed it: whilst Affinity Photo was NOT able to save, I had no problem opening the drive and interacting with the files there. So, the storage was available, but for some reason Affinity could not access it.
What I can assume are 2 things:

1. pCloud is "locking" the file while sending it to the cloud server, so Affinity "thought" it cannot be overwritten/saved.

2. there was a short intrerruption at some point and Affinity did not check again

@R C-R I understand your point with cached copies, indeed, too many variables and too many complications in too many scenarios. Most probably this wouldn't be the desired solution.
Perhaps then making sure the connection is re-checked, or allowing the user to select the path to the file (in case Affinity can't automatically find it for some reason), and also if possible to save the modifications so they can be recovered.

pCloud Drive Help Center

1. What is pCloud Drive?

If you'd like to upload a large amount of data, or a large file, we recommend adding it for synchronization, and only after the file has been uploaded successfully - stopping the sync.

pCloud Drive provides a number of additional functionalities, such as integrated file sharing and synchronization through your computer. The app significantly eases your work upon performing file operations in the cloud, because with pCloud Drive you can work with your files using any software on your computer.

7. What is instant synchronization?
File synchronization (or syncing) is the process of updating computer files on two or more locations by determining synchronization direction, which in this case is two-way. In other words, files are copied in both directions – upload to the web platform and download to your computer.
The pCloud Drive performs real time synchronization between the pCloud web platform and your device.
48. How does Cache work in pCloud Drive?
Whenever you are adding a big amount of data to your pCloud Drive, the application temporarily uses some of the free space on your computer to cache this data so that it’s uploaded to your cloud more efficiently and so that the upload doesn’t suffer if your Internet connection is interrupted.

That pCloud Drive service already does a lot of what I suggested for Affinity itself, caching, syncing, P2P real time connections ... etc.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

10 hours ago, derei said:

Surprisingly, it seems is not. My issue while saving on my pCloud virtual drive confirmed it: whilst Affinity Photo was NOT able to save, I had no problem opening the drive and interacting with the files there. So, the storage was available, but for some reason Affinity could not access it.

Keep in mind that Affinity needs read access to the file for as long as it is open -- it is not just about saving/writing back to it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

Keep in mind that Affinity needs read access to the file for as long as it is open -- it is not just about saving/writing back to it.

I understand that, but what puzzles me is that I was able to work just fine all along and edit my work, until I decided to save... when it closed. And it didn't happen once, it was repetitive, at least 3 times it happened until I decided to write on this forum.

So, if Affinity needs continuous access, why it was no warning and I was allowed to do my work all along? And why it only happened when I tried to save? Also, on opening, there was a recovery dialog which helped me recover a part of my edits, but not all of them (which is weird also, why AF Photo won't save a temp recovery data when such situation happens).

From all talks on this subject, I still see no reason for the following:

• Why Affinity does not give any option for the user to take action, but instead just informs the user about the unavoidable and then closes (don't you find that rude?)
  • Why Affinity has to close the document and there is no better solution, like automatic check of connection, and/or even allowing the user to manually re-select the path to file?
  • Why Affinity doesn't save the changes until the last one locally (in a temp file), so they can be recovered next time when the file is being open?

For me, it all looks like Affinity didn't manage this aspect very well and it would be in their best interest to show their presence here, to let us know they are hearing us and they will take proper action in order to improve user experience on this matter (and not only on this one).

8 minutes ago, derei said:

For me, it all looks like Affinity didn't manage this aspect very well and it would be in their best interest to show their presence here, to let us know they are hearing us and they will take proper action in order to improve user experience on this matter (and not only on this one).

Be careful what you wish for.  Last time I complained about something I found a horse's head on my doorstep the next morning.

Coincidence? Maybe, but Nottingham is not that far from where I live.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 minute ago, carl123 said:

Be careful what you wish for.  Last time I complained about something I found a horse's head on my doorstep the next morning.

Coincidence? Maybe, but Nottingham is not that far from where I live.

guess you're right... plus this guys have all our bank account details too...
Don't you suddenly start feeling oppressed? :))

6 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Not in your bed? LOL

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 hours ago, derei said:

Why Affinity doesn't save the changes until the last one locally (in a temp file), so they can be recovered next time when the file is being open?

Changes are saved periodically to the 'autosave' folder. The interval between saves is set in Preferences > Performance > File Recovery Interval. See for example the Preferences entry in the online version of the Designer help topic:

• File Recovery Interval—sets the interval for saving temporary data for currently open documents, allowing a document restore to be offered at startup if the app develops a fault.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

15 minutes ago, R C-R said:
  • File Recovery Interval—sets the interval for saving temporary data for currently open documents, allowing a document restore to be offered at startup if the app develops a fault.

Great feature! Maybe there should be another flag added to this function: when an error happens and Affinity can't perform a normal save... I understand that in the event of a crash, it can't operate because.. it crashed, but when the software is operating normally, I don't understand why it doesn't perform a quick recovery save before shutting down.

5 hours ago, derei said:

I understand that in the event of a crash, it can't operate because.. it crashed, but when the software is operating normally, I don't understand why it doesn't perform a quick recovery save before shutting down.

When it is operating normally, there is no reason to retain a recovery file after the document is closed -- on a close or quit, users are given the opportunity to save any unsaved changes or discard them, just like with most other apps. It is important to discard the recovery files because otherwise they would just keep using progressively more disk space.

Affinity Photo 

5 hours ago, R C-R said:

When it is operating normally, there is no reason to retain a recovery file after the document is closed -- on a close or quit, users are given the opportunity to save any unsaved changes or discard them, just like with most other apps. It is important to discard the recovery files because otherwise they would just keep using progressively more disk space.

I was referring specifically to the situation when Affinity can't save (due to remote disk communication issue) and it closes the document on purpose (that's not a crash, is a deliberate command). So, before closing the document, Affinity could simply make a recovery file with everything that hasn't been saved yet and then close. I really can't see what is the issue here.
But instead, as it is now, AF Photo will forcibly close the document and any unsaved edits are gone... sad, very sad.

4 minutes ago, derei said:

I was referring specifically to the situation when Affinity can't save (due to remote disk communication issue) and it closes the document on purpose (that's not a crash, is a deliberate command). So, before closing the document, Affinity could simply make a recovery file with everything that hasn't been saved yet and then close. I really can't see what is the issue here.
But instead, as it is now, AF Photo will forcibly close the document and any unsaved edits are gone... sad, very sad.

That does actually happen?

Affinity closes down without asking to save the altered document something else? O.o

Never had this situation but if it is so I would fill in a bug report and let me explain why that should be intentional.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

Just now, Steps said:

That does actually happen?

Affinity closes down without asking to save the altered document something else? O.o

Never had this situation but if it is so I would fill in a bug report and let me explain why that should be intentional.

Please read the first post in this topic and you will understand when it does it. And why... I experienced the joy of losing work 3 times before I decided to ask here about what's going on.

10 minutes ago, derei said:

Please read the first post in this topic and you will understand when it does it. And why... I experienced the joy of losing work 3 times before I decided to ask here about what's going on.

Yes, I saw your screenshot in the first place but I assumed it will perform a autosave before doing so.

Maybe you should write in bold letters in the starting post that you loose all data since the last autosave due to this to make the relevance of the problem much more clear. I did not get the consequences in the first place.

But staff already answered so this will be tackled.

It's just surprising that so much discussion happened there after.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

2 minutes ago, Steps said:

Yes, I saw your screenshot in the first place but I assumed it will perform a autosave before doing so.

Maybe you should write in bold letters in the starting post that you loose all data since the last autosave due to this to make the relevance of the problem much more clear. I did not get the consequences in the first place.

But staff already answered so this will be tackled.

It's just surprising that so much discussion happened there after.

done. I added your suggestion. thanks for pointing it out.

3 hours ago, derei said:

So, before closing the document, Affinity could simply make a recovery file with everything that hasn't been saved yet and then close. I really can't see what is the issue here.

Affinity does periodically write to the autosave file, like I mentioned earlier. But it only saves changes, not a complete copy, so without access to the pre-change version the autosave file is useless. If we knew more about how those changes are saved or the structure of these autosave files or how they reference the pre-change version, maybe we could see what the issue is with it not working like you want, but as it is it is all guesswork.

Affinity Photo 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/14/2019 at 8:47 PM, derei said:

you loose all data since the last autosave due to this issue!!

Just got this nasty error when tried to save. Luckily I had a previous save and the file recovered automatically without too much work progress loss.
I'd like to know the cause and what possible steps to take in order to prevent it in the future.

Worth mentioning:

• I am using pCloud, which creates a virtual drive on the computer and I was saving there. Could this cause any issue (the sync process could take ownership of the file temporary or, to lock it in some way)?
  • it is the first time when it happened, although i was saving the same for many times.

AF_Photo_Fail_crop.png

I've been experiencing this problem in both Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer on Windows and pDrive.

Weirdly, this issue doesn't happen on my Mac, where pDrive and AP / AD work fine.

I thought I had found a fix by using a synced folder (similar to DropBox) rather than the virtual drive pDrive mounts, but sadly not.

It'd be really helpful if instead of closing without saving, there was a save as option. There doesn't seem to be an autosave option which would be handy (unless I've completely missed it). I'm pretty good at ctrl+s / cmd+s but sometimes things can get the better of you.

• 2 years later...
On 1/15/2019 at 7:09 PM, Dan C said:

Hi derei!

We've seen this error before when using network/external drives and the connection to the drive is temporarily lost whilst working. Our developers are aware of this and are working to fix it, in the meantime we recommend saving locally and then backing up the file, as v_kyr has suggested :) 

Still getting this error three years later. And I'm not using any external drives.

The past month with Affinity Publisher has been pure hell. What happened?

• 1 year later...

I get this sometimes now in v2. Should I think it''s a new type of error, or a bug that resurrected a fixed error? I am working in dropbox and have latest affinity updates.

Is there anything I could be doing wrong to generate this. One thing I find confusing is I want a base-level map that I can place in publisher and amend. Sometimes I want a publisher-annotated map to be a master in design. I get confused about process when I edit it in publisher and it opens as a publisher tab. It's complicated and not well explained in help, videos how this works with the performa abilities. It's even more complex for us illustrator-pagemaker-indesign mindset people.

At the heart it seems that I should be protected by the program about doing anything wrong, especially to the extent of crashing a file and loosing changes.

Peter

• 4 months later...

This critical error while saving to pCloud just happened in Photo 2.1.1 on my Mac M2. So I think that it was never solved and might be a side effect of how pCloud mis-communicates with Photo and probably other apps in the Affinity suite AND a poor exception handling by Affinity app (there is no reason why the Photo would not offer to save it to any other location than pCloud before it stops hard. Losing work is the last thing anybody wants to experience with any app.