You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello everyone. I'm a complete beginner. I understand cloning and inpainting for the most part. I'm trying to remove a rug from a tile floor. The tiles change dimensions as the depth gets farther making it hard to align the cloned or inpainting tiles. Is there a way to resize the clone to better adjust it to fit the area where the rug was to match the surrounding tile or is there a better method altogether? Thanks.

15474967588123825599174940125766.jpg

• Staff

Hi Elida,

Welcome to the forums :)

Due to the tiled pattern I think this might be very hard to do. If possible could you provide the image so I can try some things at my end with it?

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• Staff

Hi Elida, 

Thank you for the file,

Unfortunately due to the nature of the pattern I can't find a way to do this and make it seamless :( I can get rid of the rug but that leaves a horrible mess of tiles.

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Yea, no worries Callum. I really appreciate you going out of your way to try it yourself. I have one more question if you have time. I have photos where windows are blown out and over exposed but the rest of the photo is fine. Exposure, highlights, and brighten tools sometimes affect the whole photo. I know bracketing multiple exposures and layering works. But is there a way to manipulate exposure with a brush so I can target areas without layers and affecting the entire photo? So I can touch up certain areas like the window and the surface where the light lands and over exposes. Thanks again.

Almost switched to Photoshop to do this but in the end APhoto was up to the job

A few bits may still need touching up but it depends what you want it for and at what size you are going to display/print it.

PS I would have preferred to carpet it, tiled floors are too cold in winter

tiles6.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

29 minutes ago, Elida said:

Carl,

1. I hate you

2. . . . I love you

3. Can you please tell me how you did this? At least the tools and then I'll have to beat my brains in to figure it out.

Thanks a lot. It looks amazing.

Basically copying a batch of tiles from the right to cover the right of the rug, then a batch of tiles from the left to cover the left of the rug

Stretching, skewing and Warping those tiles to get them to fit then erasing overlaps, cloning, dodging and burning, a couple of Brightness/Contrast layers and a Noise Adjustment to try to blend everything together.

To be honest this is not the sort of image to practice on.  All the different perspectives, angles and shades of the tiles makes it very hard to match the pattern.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Yea . . . You lost me at "basically". :4_joy:

Thanks. I'll give it a go anyway, it's my first week of photography and editing in my life so I'm sure I'll fail magnificently. I'll post my results. Or just go back to that house and move the damn rug. I really appreciate it. I'm stubborn, so I'll be up all night trying . . . I'm sure I'll at least learn some good stuff along the way. Take care Carl and Callum!!!

I know it's not as nice as yours Carl but let me know what you think. It took me about two hours (30 minutes lost because my program crashed and I didn't save.) I really appreciate you introducing me to the 'skew' tool. I used about . . . 7 layers all together lol. I haven't attempted to fix discoloration yet but it's at least pretty symmetrical I think and that was my main concern. I can't figure out how to utilize 'dodge and burn' yet, still studying up on it. I had to use clone brush tool a lot for areas I couldn't stretch and skew very well. Many imperfections and I won't use this for my website but I think I at least get the concept and little by little I'll get better. Thank you so much for teaching me how to fish. Take care.

ps: how do you add a picture like you did. I only seem to be able to add affinity files. Even tried a URL but that didn't work either.

reug_removal_test.afphoto

I would say that's a pretty excellent result. Anyone looking at that image without ever seeing the original would not at first glance notice it had been altered, which is what you want when doing this sort of photo manipulation.

10 hours ago, Elida said:

ps: how do you add a picture like you did. I only seem to be able to add affinity files. Even tried a URL but that didn't work either.

I think your exported JPG may be too big (wide?) to upload to the forum (6000px)

I was getting an "error code 200" when I tried previously so had to reduce mine (on export) to about 3000px (wide) which worked.

Not sure what the limit(s) are for JPG uploads but the forum software makers could have made the error message a bit more informative.