You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photoshop Quick Selection" and "Content Aware" tools

I would like to know if your software includes a quick selection tool.. I currently use Photoshop and Lightroom but Lightroom does not have a quick selection tool. so I have to switch from lightroom (multiple steps)  to PS when I want to made specific adjustments.  I also find it convenient to use Photoshop's Content Aware tool when some object ruins a beautiful photo,  but with the Content aware tool I can eliminate the object  and simultaneouisly fill in the surrounding background.

AP has a Selection brush tool, key board short cut is "W".  I believe that tool behaves almost exactly like the PS Quick selection brush.  Regarding Content aware, the Inpaint brush is very similar to content aware, short cut is "J" and then scroll down to Inpaint.

• Staff

Hi Wifred Wiehn,

Welcome to the forums :)

I'd recommend checking out the below videos, as both of these are tools available in Affinity Photo!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 2 years later...

I am having the same issue. In PS it is relatively easy to drag a rectangle over a subject, from which PS makes an assessment as to what should be kept. You can even use a lasso to quickly draw a very vague and lazy selection around an object in PS, and it will again make an assessment of what should be kept.

Is there an equivalent in AP or AD? I am aware of the tools mentioned in the above however I want to be able to simply drag over an object and Affinity make a selection from within the vague area I have drawn.

Both Photo and Designer (in the Pixel Persona of Designer) have the Selection Brush Tool, and Photo has various other ways of selecting areas of pixels.
Choosing the best one will depend upon what image you have and what you want to select from it.
“I want to be be able to simply drag over an object and […] make a selection” is a bit vague to give any specific advice.

4 minutes ago, Ollie Hardy said:

I am having the same issue.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Ollie Hardy. :)

Are you sure you’re really having the same issue? You go on to say

6 minutes ago, Ollie Hardy said:

I am aware of the tools mentioned in the above however I want to be able to simply drag over an object and Affinity make a selection from within the vague area I have drawn.

This suggests to me that you’re looking for a way to restrict the source region for inpainting, whereas the earlier posts are about separate use of the Affinity Photo equivalents of quick selection and ‘content aware’ fill in Photoshop.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi both, thank you so much for the quick response, in order to demonstrate my point, check the beginning 15 seconds of the Piximperfect video on Adobe Quick selection tool below. He drags a rectangle over the subject, and adobe's "AI" makes an assumed selection from within that square. You can also use a lasso in a similar way.

Regards,

Ollie

1 minute ago, Ollie Hardy said:

Hi both, thank you so much for the quick response, in order to demonstrate my point, check the beginning 15 seconds of the Piximperfect video on Adobe Quick selection tool below. He drags a rectangle over the subject, and adobe's "AI" makes an assumed selection from within that square. You can also use a lasso in a similar way.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions, Ollie! I should have stated explicitly in my previous post that there is currently no way to restrict the source region for inpainting in Affinity Photo.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)