You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

TIFF not recognized by Epson Print Layout

• Staff

Can you please attach the files that do and do not work just to eliminate bit depth and colour format, thanks

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Can you please attach the files that do and do not work just to eliminate bit depth and colour format, thanks

Not sure I understand what you mean. upload the files? Which files? I have thousands that work and only a few that do not since I do not work with v 1.7 on a regular basis. I thought mine post was just to help you remove bugs.

• Staff
18 hours ago, srg said:

Not sure I understand what you mean. upload the files? Which files? I have thousands that work and only a few that do not since I do not work with v 1.7 on a regular basis. I thought mine post was just to help you remove bugs.

Hi srg,

I've installed the Epson Print Layout software but as we don't have an Epson printer, I'm just getting a message at the bottom of the software that says 'Unknown Printer Error. Image not loaded'.

If at all possible, would you be able to provide a TIFF from 1.6 and a TIFF from 1.7 (preferably the same file) so we can ask the developers to take a look.

The reason I've asked if you could submit the TIFF files is because we do not know what settings you are using and these settings may be specific to the issue—I don't know. You can keep your files private by submitting them to a private Dropbox folder that I have created for you.

Meanwhile, I will check with development to see what we may have changed in 1.7 regarding TIFF export. 

Cheers :) 

• Staff

Sorry for my confusion earlier.

There are a number of different compression options available to TIFF. Yes we have changed the compression in the saved TIFF file to be the same as Adobe applications. We may need to give an option to compress using the method used in 1.6 as well as the new higher compression method. For now this change is by design, though it may cause issues with some older software.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

6 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hi srg,

I've installed the Epson Print Layout software but as we don't have an Epson printer, I'm just getting a message at the bottom of the software that says 'Unknown Printer Error. Image not loaded'.

If at all possible, would you be able to provide a TIFF from 1.6 and a TIFF from 1.7 (preferably the same file) so we can ask the developers to take a look.

The reason I've asked if you could submit the TIFF files is because we do not know what settings you are using and these settings may be specific to the issue—I don't know. You can keep your files private by submitting them to a private Dropbox folder that I have created for you.

Meanwhile, I will check with development to see what we may have changed in 1.7 regarding TIFF export. 

Cheers :) 

Not to be wrong I uploaded 2 files, named V1.6 and V1.7 from the same file but TIFFed  in V 1.6 and V 1.7 of AP.

Hope this can be useful.

• Staff

Hi srg,

I've put in a request with the developers to implement an option to support the earlier LZW compression method, as suggested by Patrick. Whilst the new Adobe compression will improve compatibility for other 3rd party apps, we certainly do not want to break compatibility with any 3rd party apps that were working.

• 1 year later...
10 minutes ago, friedeggstudios said:

seems this issue has still yet to be resolved?

Affinity supports 3 compression options for TIFF files: ZIP (default, I think), NONE, and LZW, selectable during Export in the More... dialog. Apparently Epson Print Layout supports a limited set of compression options; perhaps you need to choose a different one when exporting your TIFF files?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, richardml said:

Epson Print layout  (1.54) not recognising TIFF via Affinity 1.91 - tried all TIFF export options

Did you turn off compression via the More... dialog add suggested above?

-- Walt
PC:

11 minutes ago, richardml said:

Where is the More...dialog add pls? Can you post a screenshot if possible? Thx Walt.

I can't provide a screenshot right now, but the More button is visible in the screenshot of the Export dialog that you posted above.

-- Walt
PC:

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.