You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Good afternoon,

I am about to buy Affinity Designer and as far I understood:

Operating Systems (64 bit)
When app purchased from Affinity Store:

Windows® 10
Windows® 8.1
Windows® 7 (Service Pack 1; Aero enabled)

When app purchased from Microsoft Store:

Windows® 10

---

So my question is:

If I bought the app on Affinity Store for Windows 7 and then want to move to Windows 10, shall I get a new license?

Doesn't sound logical now that I wrote it, but still concern about this.

In your immediate answer I will buy it right away.

Thanks in advance!

• Staff

Hi Viktor H. Morales,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
You only need to get the license once - you can then use it with whatever Windows OS version you have including running the program on more than one computer you own/control as long as you're the only one using the application for commercial purposes. So if you buy it now from the Affinity Store and install it on your Windows 7 computer you can use the same license later on a new computer running Windows 10 without issues.

10 hours ago, MEB said:

You don't need to get another license when you move to Windows 10 but the license is only valid for the current 1.x cycle of the application - this means all minor updates are free (1.7, 1.8 etc) but major upgrades - from v1 to v2 for example - are paid. 

There seems to be a lot of misinformation about this from people on Youtube. They make it sound like the licence is forever and includes all future updates. It's good to know that it is for updates only and not upgrades to major releases.

ASUS Prime B450M-K; 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM; AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU; Nvidia GTX1050Ti
Windows 10 Professional (64-bit); Manjaro Linux

• Staff

Hi xarthangrol,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
If you purchase a license for version 1, you get all minor updates for free and the license is yours forever (as long as the OS supports/runs it). Major upgrades (v2, v3 etc) must be paid otherwise we would be out of business in no time.