You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

7 hours ago, Fixx said:

How would Photoshop help opening PDFs with embedded fonts? It would just rasterize the whole file?

That's exactly what Photoshop does. Why is this feature not yet implemented? I'm sure the brilliant minds behind Affinity can create a kind of "smart font graphic container" instead of just rasterizing the whole file.. Maybe just the missing fonts. Right now, I can't even color-correct a pdf file or replace a wrong image before I've moved my entire font library to the machine that I'm working on. Traveling is a big problem if a customer needs minor corrections to an otherwise finished product, before payment.. And I could go on sadly..

You can use just about any graphics software to rasterize a PDF. Apple's own Preview does it nicely.

It is far more useful that you can open editable PDFs with Designer even though embedded fonts are not yet supported. It even does it better than Illustrator. Serif has a plan to add embedded font support to Designer, which would solve your problem. Personally I think that is a tall order but we will see. 

Meanwhile I hope support for passthrough PDFs will come first. Publisher and Designer need it. It is essential in magazine and newspaper ad traffic. And of course it would also be nice it you had option to rasterize PDFs with Affinity Photo, but that is not so important.

On 1/16/2019 at 8:48 AM, Fixx said:

Serif has a plan to add embedded font support to Designer, which would solve your problem. Personally I think that is a tall order but we will see. 

Meanwhile I hope support for passthrough PDFs will come first. Publisher and Designer need it. It is essential in magazine and newspaper ad traffic.

It’s worth noting that Serif added embedded font support to PagePlus many years before they added support for PDF passthrough, but I don’t know how much significance to attach to that fact.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 year later...