You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Convert stroke to actual curve lines;; Help Needed

I can add stroke just fine. I suppose I should build a scenario. I make a text, I convert this text to curves then add a stroke to make the text appear more bold and appear the way I want it to, but then when I export the file (to .svg format) and send that file over to another software for another use, the text (already converted to curves and with stroke) appears without any stroke. I've checked on the .svg file when exported and it's fine, but when the other software reads the file it only reads the curves not the stroke. I understand you can't change the way another software reads an .svg file. My question is if there is any way for me to add the stroke as part of the actual curve itself on Affinity. I've gone around this by tracing the entire stroke around the text (converted to curves) itself on other projects, but its very time consuming. This process more than triples my the time I have to work on each project with this problem. So any help is appreciated, thank you:)

Hello flacco,

The easiest way would be to use a different weight for the font if they have it (semibold, bold).
Otherwise, try adding the stroke directly to the text before converting it to curves. To do this, with the selected text, go to the "Stroke" tab of the Studio, set "Cap", "Join", "Align" and "Mitre" if necessary to keep the general appearance of the text.
When converted to curves, each letter will form a single object.

I recall a post here that mentioned interior and exterior strokes are handled differently than mid-line strokes. If I make 3 letters, and give one  a mid stroke , and the others exterior and interior, when opened in Inkscape, the interior and exterior strokes are separate objects.

Also, If I use the end-marker stroke option in Inkscape to make an arrow, Affinity does not render it, and Safari and Chrome render it differently. So I suppose different applications construct/interpret SVG in different manners.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

17 hours ago, reglico said:

Hello flacco,

The easiest way would be to use a different weight for the font if they have it (semibold, bold).
Otherwise, try adding the stroke directly to the text before converting it to curves. To do this, with the selected text, go to the "Stroke" tab of the Studio, set "Cap", "Join", "Align" and "Mitre" if necessary to keep the general appearance of the text.
When converted to curves, each letter will form a single object.

Alright so i cant make the text bold, this font doesnt have the option, alright so for the second one I tried this and i was very confident about it, but after I convert it to curves it still has the stroke out of the curve and the other software wont  interpret that correctly. I dont know if there is a way to combine the actual stroke into the curve, or to make the text appear more bold before converting it to curves, but i do appreciate the advise. I didnt know you could add stroke to texts.

14 hours ago, gdenby said:

I recall a post here that mentioned interior and exterior strokes are handled differently than mid-line strokes. If I make 3 letters, and give one  a mid stroke , and the others exterior and interior, when opened in Inkscape, the interior and exterior strokes are separate objects.

Also, If I use the end-marker stroke option in Inkscape to make an arrow, Affinity does not render it, and Safari and Chrome render it differently. So I suppose different applications construct/interpret SVG in different manners.

how to you add interior and exterior stroke, I may be able to add interior stroke to the text

13 hours ago, flacco said:

Alright so i cant make the text bold, this font doesnt have the option, alright so for the second one I tried this and i was very confident about it, but after I convert it to curves it still has the stroke out of the curve and the other software wont  interpret that correctly. I dont know if there is a way to combine the actual stroke into the curve, or to make the text appear more bold before converting it to curves, but i do appreciate the advise. I didnt know you could add stroke to texts.

In AD, I just tried to add a contour to the vectorized text, group the whole thing, export to svg and open with Inkscape: the line is always separate from the letter.
Still in AD, I then tried to do an "Add" operation and the result is the same, the text and the outline are always separated in Inkscape.

I opened the exported file in Inkscape, selected the whole (text and outline) and did "Ungroup". Then I made "Union" (the equivalent of "Add" in AD) and as a result the text appears as a single object, the outline is integrated into the rest of the text.

This may be a way to solve your problem, despite the extra step with Inkscape.

On 1/15/2019 at 3:08 PM, >|< said:

Yes

Use a centre-aligned stroke:

1. select the text object and give it a centre-aligned stroke to make it look as bold as required
  2. adjust tracking or kerning as required
  3. press cmd-enter to convert the text to a group of stroked shapes representing the letters
  4. select the shapes (not the group object itself) and click the Boolean add button in the toolbar to combine them into one stroked shape representing the text 
  5. do Layer > Expand Stroke to convert the stroked shape to two unstroked shapes representing the fill and stroke of the text
  6. select the shapes and click the Boolean add button in the toolbar to combine them into one unstroked shape that looks like the bold text.

thank you so much, that's exact what i was looking for! i never got a notification on your reply, so i just now seen it. thanks!