You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cropping and resizing issue

Hi I am in the process of creating a phonebook. I do this by placing a number of photos, in a range of sizes onto a new document of A4 size. For this page I have a number of predefined picture sizes e.g. 3000 pixels by 1000 pixels.

I therefore want to open an original JPG say 6000x4000, crop it 3X1 and save it with a new document size 3000x1000. That way I can just drag it and place it in my landscape A4 document. I need to do this about 400 to 500 times to fill up my phonebook.

The cropping is not a problem in itself but making the jpg the correct size, without individually exporting each photo is.

Can anybody Help

Thanks

Alan

For APh you can use batch processing in order to change a bulk of images. See under the tutorials „Batch Processing“ & „Batch Processing with Macros“ ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

The answer from v-kyr is helpful for batch posting but the main issue is that if you crop in absolute dimensions it produces the right size final image but does not allow you to scale a crop down to the required image size. Normal cropping would do this in producing an image of the correct proportions (ratio) but not a final image of the required size.

Here is a set of macros that change the size of the longest side of a document (proportionally) to a fixed maximum size.
Just give it a try.

Resize Document to a Fixed Maximum Size .afmacros

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

• Staff

Hi AlanWood,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
This feature (cropping and scale/resample simultaneously) was originally present in Affinity Photo Beta 1.7, but due to some issues/conflicts was removed/postponed for a future version/update, so hopefully it will be available later.

2 hours ago, AlanWood said:

The "Resize macros" fromHVDB  look to be a good option. How do I add the particular sizes I want to the ones supplied?

See this thread

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

@HVDB Photography , You beat me to it on this. By the time that I found my posting, you had provided the link.

@AlanWood, If you need to contact me on this, please feel free to do so.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Thanks everybody for your assistance. In my particular situation the macros as they sit will not be appropriate.

I want (for example) to crop to 1500X1165 pixels (as a ratio and not absolute ) and then save the document as 1500X1165 pixels.

I have set up Crop presets for the crop ratio - meaning the actual pixels may be > 1500x1165 or < 1500x1165 -  and then I will create a macro using your lines but substituting in equations

x/1500*w

y/1165*h

Cheers

Alan