You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Guides not showing up

Hi. 

Since the last update, apparently I am having an issue with guidelines. When I try to pull down a guide line from the ruler, it just won't show on the page where I wish to place the guide line but I actually find the line on the first page of the book. 

Otherwise, very promising software like the rest of your suite and I am intending to make our next catalogue and publishing projects on Publisher. 

3 hours ago, Michail said:

I can confirm that. Strange things are happening with the guidelines.

This must be a Windows-only problem.    They are working perfectly with my MAC OS Sierra and v. 206.    

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

I can also confirm that for Windows 10.

Trying to add a new guideline to page 12 makes it appear on page 1.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hey Morgoth,

Have you got 'Show Guides' disabled in the View menu? If it is disabled, they won't show on the page but you will be able to see them in the ruler. Dragging out a new guide will re-enable 'Show Guides' to make them appear.

If that isn't it, I'm not sure what else is might be causing this. I'll have to do some poking! 

17 hours ago, Chris B said:

If that isn't it, I'm not sure what else is might be causing this. I'll have to do some poking! 

With me, placed guide lines sometimes appear, and sometimes not.
There was already a similar thread:

• Staff

I've merged both threads.

Am I correct in assuming that you can get this issue to happen on a new document or an existing one? If it only happens on an existing document, I'd appreciate a sample document :) 

I've had another go this morning but I still cannot reproduce it.

Yup, very strange behaviors with guides. Seems, repeat seems, to be somehow affected with multiple pages. It looked alright (initially) with a single page, but when using guides on pages 2-> then weird behavior where the guides sometimes show and sometimes don't. I even had it where the guides manager showed guides from another page. Reproduce by creating a 2 page doc. Add guides on page 1 then play with guides on page 2... sometimey.

Win 10, AP beta 206, beta 221

OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
OS Version:                10.0.17134 N/A Build 17134

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Am I correct in assuming that you can get this issue to happen on a new document or an existing one? If it only happens on an existing document, I'd appreciate a sample document :)
I've had another go this morning but I still cannot reproduce it.

I've just created a brand new document. It actually seems to be a problem that only occurs with documents with multiple pages. The guides seem to be placed half on the current page and half on page 1.

In addition, vertical guides do not even display the markers on the vertical ruler.

Guides.gif

It seems that every time it places a guide it is setting page 1 back as the current spread instead of the one you are on so it is basing the next guide placed off page ! then it will setthe page your actually on as current spread and allow you to place a guide then it will switch back again and so forth

I shall get this passed on to the development team

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

21 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey Morgoth,

Have you got 'Show Guides' disabled in the View menu? If it is disabled, they won't show on the page but you will be able to see them in the ruler. Dragging out a new guide will re-enable 'Show Guides' to make them appear.

All guides are visible and this issue seems to be intermittent. Sometimes it happens and then it doesn't 

• Staff
2 minutes ago, Morgoth said:

All guides are visible and this issue seems to be intermittent. Sometimes it happens and then it doesn't 

Yes we have discovered the cause, as mentioned above by Chris_K. It's logged with the developers and I'm hoping for a quick turnaround on this one. 

Just now, Chris B said:

Yes we have discovered the cause, as mentioned above by Chris_K. It's logged with the developers and I'm hoping for a quick turnaround on this one. 

Have I ever said how much I appreciate the work the team is doing? If not, keep on rocking with the development.

@noxdiurna Can you add the tags "1.7.0.206" and "1.7.0.221" to indicate both versions as affected by this problem? Thank you.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

So I refer to the announcement of 221... this is still an issue with multiple pages. Easy to recreate - create new document with 2 pages (or if you prefer n pages where n > 1). Guidelines on page 1 work just fine. However, on pages n (n > 1) these guidelines are flaky, sometimey, unpredictable. As Michail shows above. Oh well, that's why is a beta.

It was not mentioned in the changelog. So there is no reason to assume it should be fixed in 221.

I'm having the same issue with the guides. Sometimes dragging a guide from the ruler works, sometimes not. It seems to work less with vertical guides. "Show all Guides" is enabled, happens in new documents and old documents. Windows 10. Publisher 1.7.0.206

Otherwise it's a great program and miles better than Quarkxpress 2018.

On 1/19/2019 at 8:33 AM, Panchdara said:

So I refer to the announcement of 221... this is still an issue with multiple pages. Easy to recreate - create new document with 2 pages (or if you prefer n pages where n > 1). Guidelines on page 1 work just fine. However, on pages n (n > 1) these guidelines are flaky, sometimey, unpredictable. As Michail shows above. Oh well, that's why is a beta.

Fix not not mentioned again in 227.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.