You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Basic question: drawing silhouettes with the pencil vector tool

So, I'm drawing silhouettes in Designer using the vector pencil tool. To speed it up a bit I'm checking the fill box, but I guess that's irrelevant.

The problem, maybe: If I'm drawing something a little complex, my hand gets tired and wobbly before I've closed the outline. I end up creating a shape like this one below with three separate partial outlines. 

The question: I don't usually draw in vector so I know this is a super basic question, but it's impossible to lift the pencil from the tablet, give your hand a break, then resume the same line and layer, right?

Or is it impossible? Can I give my drawing hand a break by holding down a key or something? Do vector artists simply group the various layers of a 'single' shape and not worry about it? That just feels... messy.

I know there are lots of vector artists here, so does anyone have a hack for drawing outlines of (and closing) complex outlines using the pencil tool when you need to give your hand a rest?

1754455603_silhouettequestion.thumb.png.e5416404bcce1fbe65480d9abe0de7cf.png

Hmm. I got a little excited there for a sec.

Instructions say all I need to do is click the final node once and continue drawing. My computer is set up for a double click, but I'm guessing I click until the white square with a red outline changes into a blue square with a red outline. This ensures the line continues in the right place with no gap, but my query is more relating to layers.

If I 'continue' the line, even joined up neatly, the next segment is appearing on its own layer. 

This is a feature of vector drawing in general? New layers for every single little stroke, no workarounds to keep all the lines of a single shape on a single vector layer?

48 minutes ago, Stace said:

This is a feature of vector drawing in general? New layers for every single little stroke, no workarounds to keep all the lines of a single shape on a single vector layer?

Actually, you can't continue with the Pencil Tool in the current version of Designer, it always starts a new path.  

You would be much better using the latest Beta version of Designer (1.7). The full release is due out very soon and appears to be very stable.

That has a Sculpt option. With that option set, you can continue a Pencil Tool line by starting to draw again from exactly over the last node. You can also reshape a line by drawing over the top of it.

sculpt.jpg.24d72da9517ff30d1f4314a2d6d73c7c.jpg

That way you could stop for a coffee, then continue with the existing line.

Use this link for the beta versions.

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/affinity-designer-17-beta-now-available/

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

28 minutes ago, toltec said:

That has a Sculpt option. With that option set, you can continue a line by starting to draw again from exactly over the last node. You can also reshape a line by drawing over the top of it.

Oh my, this is why we don't be afraid to ask basic questions on a forum. Thank you! This is EXACTLY the functionality I always wished existed in vector software. Today marks the beginning of my new life as a vectorfarian. Thanks for sharing toltec, and thanks for thinking of our wrists and layer management sanity, Affinity.