Rocketdrive

Docking palettes side by side on Mac

Thank you for this post. I've been trying now for quite a while (Mac) but no success. Hope somebody is able to help. Seen it on a video tutorial on a Mac, so it must work. But how???

the question is HOW to dock studio panels side by side (left and/or right) like in my screenshot attached from a tutorial for Affinity Photo. Must work the same way in Designer or Publisher. So please: somebody out there for a qualified answer?

798785730_studiopanelssidebyside.thumb.png.7e2bf7cfbe9ebacab8c93cdc7a3d3f42.png

For Windows you just drag that studio to the proper spot and it docs automatically as you show. I don't know if it's possible for Mac, but there are significant UI differences between the two systems. Windows doesn't have Separated mode, for example, and I think the way that one floats/docks image windows within the Affinity applications is different between Mac and Windows, too.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.293 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.293 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.293 Beta

Hi Walt,

this functionality of docking panel side by side is a standard for all adobe product users and should be a standard for Affinity products as well, doesn't matter weather WIN oder MAC is used. Or say it like this: for Mac users it's a big disadvantage if one cannot adapt the working space as wanted – a function that is even possible for WIN users. Shame on Serif labs!

1 hour ago, truepictures said:

Seen it on a video tutorial on a Mac, so it must work.

Where?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.6.1 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.6.7 ◆ OSX El Capitan

21 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

For Windows you just drag that studio to the proper spot and it docs automatically as you show. I don't know if it's possible for Mac ...

It isn't. Mac users get one left & one right dock-able panel group (& separate View menu show/hide options for them which can be given individual keyboard shortcuts) but it isn't possible to dock more than one panel group to either the left or right side. In Separated window mode all the panels float.

What works for me in non-separated mode is to float one or two panel groups to the right of the document window -- I actually prefer this to docking everything -- but that probably is not what some Mac users would like.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

I prefer seamless interfaces. Fortunately most DCC apps offer docking of palettes.

There sure is a reason for the single column, but can we please get multiple columns for Affinity apps on macOS, too?

Great apps should be available on as many platforms as possible. Because only then will they reach as many great artists as possible.

It has always bothered me that some apps work on PCs only, and others only on Macs. If they are cross platform often there is a preferred platform with tradeoffs on others.

I hope that this will be over some day, rather sooner than later.

5 minutes ago, Rocketdrive said:

If they are cross platform often there is a preferred platform with tradeoffs on others.

That is not infrequently because implementing the same feature on one platform without causing undesirable side effects is much more difficult than on the other.

That could be because one OS includes an efficient, system domain API for doing something that the other one lacks, so on the other platform a less efficient way of  doing that has to be built into the app & run in application or user space.

26 minutes ago, Rocketdrive said:

I hope that this will be over some day, rather sooner than later.

I doubt that will ever happen. The Mac OS & Windows differ in several fundamental ways. Their file system & memory management systems, security & privacy protections, windowing systems, & even how the OS communicates with the hardware are abstracted & implemented differently.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

HTML 5 based apps and Chrome OS are what comes to mind. Ideally, they don't care at all if the hardware underneath is a tablet, or a server, or anything in between. While not ripe yet for the type who needs his Photoshop, or Designer, it would totally make sense to me to have app packages that run on a lightweight, standardized abstraction layer, whatever it might be called.