You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wish that Affine filter didn't blur

Hi there,

I'm using the Affine filter to make seamless, tiling textures - but I'm noticing that repeated application of the filter will slowly blur the image, until it's too blurry to use. I wish that it did a simple integer offset like Photoshops, and didn't degrade the image quality with each application.

Thanks,

Ocean

I have done several tilings recently. Each one has involved around half a dozen Affine transformations in both axes. I have seen no sign of degradation in any of these. 

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Here's the easiest repro steps:

1. Make a new, fairly small pixel layer (say 256 square)

2. Paint a few very high-contrast (hard edged) black blotches on it

3. Apply affine say half a dozen times

4. Note that your edges are now blurry

I'm guessing that it would be harder to notice the softening/blurring on a photographic texture, but it should be more obvious with a graphical one.

Thanks!
Ocean

• 5 months later...
21 minutes ago, junovhs said:

having this same issue, preparing seamless textures using Affine but they become softened with each application

As long as you make sure that your offset is a whole number, then it will do it without blurring. So if you're offsetting a 1024 texture, use like 50%, or 25%, or any value that results in not splitting a pixel.

I have to admit that the affine transformations that I performed were all with integral fractions of a 800px square.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630