You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm very new to Affinity, and just to set the bar I have moved from Photoshop Elements. I have a really simple task that I could complete in less than 30 seconds on Elements, but I can't get anywhere on Affinity. I have completed editing my photo and now I want to submit it for judging in a local competition. So I want to reduce the size of my image down to a maximum size (on either axis) of 1620x1080 pixels.. I've found how to do that and retaining the aspect ratio gives me an image of 1620x790(approx.). So now I want to change the canvas size to 1620x1080 by adding a black band at the to and bottom of the image. How do I do that? Also what's the secret to reducing image size without reducing quality... (My reduced image looks pretty shoddy)

• Staff

Hi @BlackTaniwha,

Welcome to the forums. 

10 hours ago, BlackTaniwha said:

So I want to reduce the size of my image down to a maximum size (on either axis) of 1620x1080 pixels

What do you exactly mean by "on either axis"? There is only one 1620x1080 dimension. 

10 hours ago, BlackTaniwha said:

So now I want to change the canvas size to 1620x1080 by adding a black band at the to and bottom of the image. How do I do that?

1080px - 790px = 290px. Divide that number by 2. You would need to resize the canvas twice by 145 , moving the anchor point middle up and middle down. 

image.png

When you're done, create a new black layer at the bottom of your stack to fill the space out. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

I think this will give the same result without the need to resize the canvas twice  (Use the anchor point in the middle)

resize2.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.