Krow

Affinity Photo for Digital Painting

I'm trying to find a good replacement for Photoshop to use for digital painting. I like Affinity, it seems well designed, and I would much rather put money into the pockets of a small group of dedicated developers than Adobe.

So far, it's been challenge to achieve the same level of workflow, but I will see what I can do to push the software as best as possible.

If anyone has any recommended tutorials for digital painting with Affinity Photo or have made the transition themselves, I would love to hear about your experience.

Welcome to the forums Krow.

Are you referring to Designer or Photo? Here's a link to a search on YouTube for tutorials on digital painting using Affinity apps

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=digital+painting+in+affinity+photo+tutorial

Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 ; Win10 Home Version:1903, Build: 18362.207: Intel Core i7-4770, 3.90GHz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 645, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Same situation here... I wanted to migrate from Photoshop, but it’s hard to find good tutorials about digital painting in Affinity PHOTO.

So I got the Ipad version and I’m trying by myself.

My impressions hasn’t been the best, since everytime i touch the screen with the pencil, all the drawing gets pixelated, like it was loading or something.

If anyone knows how to solve this, please share. Affinity photo seems to be a great software and I hope to use it for now on! :)

Affinity Photo is good now for digital painting. (I wouldn't do digital painting with A. Designer, although is technically possible. IMO, Designer serves well for vector based illustrators, and Photo, for raster based (more of my case, tho I also do vectors) illustrators and digital painters (the distinction is not easy to make, IMO, among certain types of professionals).

I have used Photo already for painting, it is quite fine at this latest version (1.7.1 ). (I'm pro, not hobbyist)

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

I've been using Photo to teach myself digital painting. Only problem is, with this latest release (1.7) the program is randomly crashing and when I re-open it there's no autosave file offered to load. In previous editions this wasn't an issue for me, so I'm hoping it'll get ironed out as a bug in short order. When digital painting there seem to be fewer "stop-points" in the process than when processing a photo, so I'm less likely to remember to manually save (even though I know that's certainly the best way to do things, no matter what you're doing). I've lost some good work that way. But I'm forging ahead, rather than jumping ship, because I trust the good folks at Serif to get this problem licked before too long--and perhaps I just needed a reminder to insert a habit of manual saving into my painting workflow.

I hit ctrl + s every ten seconds... (almost....well, probably every ten minutes  ;)

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.