You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Perspective Transforms?

I understand that AF Designer's node Transform Mode allows one to select the bottom two nodes of a simple rectangle and distort the shape to suggest 1-point perspective (see illustration below), but this does not appear to work for circles and other complex shapes.

In Adobe Illustrator, one can use the Transform tool plus keyboard modifiers to transform any shape and related nodes into 1-point perspective. (See the video below, and note how the left and right nodes of the circle and their control handles are repositioned and redirected to achieve correct perspective for the shape.)

Am I missing something in AF Designer? Is it actually possible to transform any vector shape in perspective?

Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 2.09.26 PM.png

Holding the command key in transform node resizes around the center.  All it is doing is scaling the group of selected nodes while keeping them centered above the other ones.

Circles transformed to curves have four points: top, bottom, left and right.  What nodes would you select in order to get that effect?

Even if you add nodes, you are still basically manipulating a circle, and scaling those nodes won't have the same effect that scaling the nodes of a rectangle does.

I believe for what you are trying to do you would need mesh distortion, which is not currently available in Affinity Designer.

Designer really needs this tool and also the envelope tool (like in DrawPlus). I use these a lot for text. Please Affinity?

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

2nd Monitor: Phillips 226E9Q HD 1920 x 1080 (125%)

2 hours ago, fde101 said:

It is on the roadmap, so it will be coming, we just don't know when (other than that it will be sometime before version 2.0):

Thank you for that :)

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

2nd Monitor: Phillips 226E9Q HD 1920 x 1080 (125%)

I try to shape text, but can't find a solution for this in Designer?

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

2 hours ago, studio97 said:

I try to shape text, but can't find a solution for this in Designer?

If you need a solution for this while waiting for this to show up in Designer and you do not already have a program that will do it, you might want to check out Art Text - it is inexpensive and you can use it to shape text then save the output as a (raster) image that you can then bring into the Affinity products.   https://text.design/art-text/

Note that link is for the Mac version - I think an older version of it (version 2 as opposed to 3) is available for Windows if you search around that site for it a bit.

That said, it will obviously be much nicer when we can do these things from right inside of Affinity Designer, but if you need something in the interim, that is one potential option that is out there.

2 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi studio97,
Currently there aren't (vector) perspective nor mesh warp distortion tools in Designer. Only Affinity Photo have them (raster based distortion tools, that is).

Will this come, because its a basic need for a designer.?

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, albertkinng said:

this is a must

Get it where it is for what it costs.

Yes, because I tried to wait, and nothing good came. Stop waiting! Get it  girl! | Sayings and phrases, Quotes to live by, Inspirational words

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.