You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need Expert Publisher Help

I am looking at making a comic (standard comic book size) as a test before I try out the real thing. But I am confused on how to do the page set up with trim and actual size.  I have seen singe page sheets and double wide so that it has a fold.  If you did the double-wide doesn't the center margin have to change size since the outside pages need to be bigger than the page at the centerfold?

So I guess what I am asking can someone please make me a blank comic page (No panels) with the trim marks, and space for the header, page number etc?  And can that also be used for the cover? 

Thanks for any help

22 hours ago, Guyon said:

I am looking at making a comic (standard comic book size) …

> … (standard comic book size) …

What size is that please for the purpose of this question?

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

I do not claim to be an expert on this but I thought that as nobody else has replied and the problem looks interesting, I decided to have a go.

I think that I may have solved some of the problem.

I am not sure of the size of the comic book page so I have used A4 (297mm tall by 210 mm wide for each page).

I tried to make an 8-page comic book.

So,

File

New

Then the choices on the panel as Print A4 millimetres Prefer embedded 8

Tick the Facing pages choices Horizontal Start on right.

Now,

Use the following,

File

Spread setup

Margins

[Comment: For this example, suppose that outer margins are 30 mm; and the inner margins are a total of 30 mm, that is, 15 mmm on each page.]

All Spreads, set inner margins to 15 mm and outer mm to 30 mm.

Now with page 1 showing in the main workspace,

File

Spread setup

Margins

Current spread, set inner margin to 30 mm and outer margin to 30 mm.

Now with page 8 showing in the main workspace,

File

Spread setup

Margins

Current spread, set inner margin to 30 mm and outer margin to 30 mm.

File

Save

I hope that this helps.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

I found this mention about the size.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-standard-size-of-a-comic-book-from-Marvel-and-DC-Comics

I also found the following.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_comic_book#Format

The width seems to be 160 mm and the height could be 257 mm or 260 mm.

Is that the size that you want please? If so, which height please?

William

4 hours ago, Guyon said:

Thanks, William,

I am seeing that they are  10–1/8 inches by 6–5/8 inches, or 25.7 centimeters by 16.8 centimeters

I am hoping to suggest to Serif that comic book size is added to the choice of preset sizes available when setting up a publication.

4 hours ago, Guyon said:

So I am guessing that it may be better to make this in Affinity Designer than Affinity Publisher?

I have not used Affinity Designer so I cannot advise you one way or the other.

William

On 1/12/2019 at 6:27 PM, Guyon said:

If you did the double-wide doesn't the center margin have to change size since the outside pages need to be bigger than the page at the centerfold?

I don’t think you need to worry too much about ‘creep’ for a comic book.

5 hours ago, Guyon said:

I am seeing that they are  10–1/8 inches by 6–5/8 inches, or 25.7 centimeters by 16.8 centimeters.

So I am guessing that it may be better to make this in Affinity Designer than Affinity Publisher?

AD doesn’t yet have pages as such, although you can treat artboards as pages and export them to PDF in layer order (from bottom to top).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

42 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I don’t think you need to worry too much about ‘creep’ for a comic book.

Hello Alfred

What is 'creep' in this context please?

42 minutes ago, Alfred said:

AD doesn’t yet have pages as such, although you can treat artboards as pages and export them to PDF in layer order (from bottom to top).

So to make the comic book, what does one do?

Maybe export art as a png or a vector graphic and then place the png or vector graphic into an Affinity Publisher document?

I have found that one needs to use

File

Place...

in Affinity Publisher.

William

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

What is 'creep' in this context please?

Here’s the definition from the Printing dictionary at Prepressure.com:

creep
The result of added thickness of folded sheets being behind one another in a folded signature. Outer edges of sheets creep away from back most fold as more folded sheets are inserted inside the middle. It is also called shingling.

So the thicker the signature, the more uneven the margins will become if you don’t adjust for creep.

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

So to make the comic book, what does one do?

Maybe export art as a png or a vector graphic and then place the png or vector graphic into an Affinity Publisher document?

Yes, that should work OK for APub. As I indicated earlier, in AD you can use one artboard per page and then export to PDF to create a single document comprising a collection of pages.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)