Aga

Affinity does not open DNG files from VueScan

Hello!

I planned to use Affinity to process scanned film negatives. Unfortunately I cannot open any linear dng files (output from VueScan, saved as .dng) only a thumbnail opens. Darktable opens the same files without any issues.

I'm running Affinity on Mac Mojave 10.14.2.

I could see that several people on the Windows subform have had the same issue already in 2017. Could someone please look into it?

Thank you in advance!

Screenshot 2019-01-12 at 09.11.55.png

I have a similar issue since I updated mojave today... it opens but it looks like chessboard wrongly assembled.... help!

It looks like a chess board because it's on over 500% zoom, if you look at the size of the opened file it's less than 1MB. It's only a thumbnail embedded in the actual dng you try to open.

I thought that these issues with the DNG files produced by VueScan had been logged before?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.422 Beta

Thank you for your reply, I uploaded the same photo you can see in the screenshot with the Dropbox link (attached below as well). It's a positive (shot on Fuji Velvia) straight from VueScan.

raw0009.dng

In the end I uninstalled Affinity and had it refunded, since I assumed the interest to address this issue was next to none. 

Overall it seems like a good photo editor so if this ever gets sorted I would be happy to buy it again.

Thank you very much for this! I have some fresh scans (from yesterday), so I am going to test it asap. I understand that I need the regular Affinity installed, right?

Popping in to say thank you! 

I've bought Affinity (for the second time) and installed the Beta version. The .dng files open without any issues. The "invert" button is great for negatives too - of course they still have to be colour-corrected, especially Kodak Portra 160 and 800 come out super wishy-washy, but this is not unusual. 

Thank you once again for fixing this :18_kissing_heart: