You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photoshop export: hidden layers are empty in PSD

IPv6

I am using PSD format for exchanging images and with latest beta found a bug in PSD export: In resulted PSD all layers, that are HIDDEN in original AP file - all of them are completely empty. They are here, they are named properly and stay on right hierarchy place - but fully transparent, no pixels in them.

Layer, that was visible in original AP file are exported as usual, with all pixels

This happens with all 3 PSD export presets

• 2 months later...

I can confirm this, but from ClipStudio too. I was working on an illustration. Exported my line art with all flat colour fills. Saved a psd file from Clip Studio EX to Affinity Photo beta 1.7.0.258. All line art and flat fills were hidden on importing and opened in Affinity for some editing. They were hidden again before export. 

When I opened my psd file back in Clip Studio everything hidden was gone.

:(

If I make the export in a hidden group containing all layers inside the group visible, the layers are not gone, they remain. It seems like just hidden layers are empty, not hidden groups. 

I can confirm this as well

Asus ROG Strix G17 Notebook:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 3.80 GHz with Radeon Vega Graphics | 32GB DDR4 3200mHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Gfx | 2x 2TB SSD NVMe PCIe M.2 3x4 | Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22623.870

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This bug still exists as of 7/3/2019. When I load a photoshop 2018 file in Affinity Photo, the hidden (unchecked) layers are there and everything looks good. When I then export the same file back out to PSD format (Preset: PSD Preserve Accuracy), the hidden (unchecked) layers don't get saved. I've verified this by loading the file in Photoshop 2018.

• 2 months later...
42 minutes ago, eobet said:

The problem is still there!

Isn't this critical enough to warrant a hotfix? I mean, people who are halfway between switching might reconsider with blatantly obvious issues like this...

PSD import and export were designed with one-time use in mind (i.e. not round-tripping between Affinity Photo and Photoshop). On the face of it the applications are similar, but in reality many subtle differences between them make this process incredibly difficult.

33 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

PSD import and export were designed with one-time use in mind (i.e. not round-tripping between Affinity Photo and Photoshop). On the face of it the applications are similar, but in reality many subtle differences between them make this process incredibly difficult.

Ok... but leaving layers empty isn't even acceptable for a one way trip... quite an annoying issue (with seemingly a simple fix) to have been left in for apparently almost a year now?