You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Constant outline for text and double outline

1 I'm trying to recreate the image below on a vector. I've done so by drawing pen shapes for the "inside" letters and giving them an outline. Problem is if I resize the object the outline does not maintain the ratio.

584745e34af3f_PokmonMini.png.3f7fcc56446

I do have a working version were I use the pen tool to draw the outline, but it's not as precisse as the outline option out of human error when tracing the shapes. So I'd like to know if there's a more correct way to go about it.

pokemon.png.9c27609a464a73a1a9747e8b1ffb42b3.png

2 The other thing I'm wondering is how to do the image below on Affinity Designer. I can kind of get it to work with having both a stroke and an outline effect, but I need the inner part to be transparent, and if I set the stroke as 0% opacity then the outline doesn't render.

https://github.com/chicueloarcade/es-theme-Chicuelo/blob/master/_assets/logos/arcade.svg

9 minutes ago, firewater said:

Problem is if I resize the object the outline does not maintain the ratio.

Try setting the "scale with object" checkbox ...

scale_obj.jpg.d995bd35785f9547854aaf3cdf43c66c.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

With regard to the stroke on the arcade image, I would apply the stroke size you want to be transparent and use that as a guide and just draw the stroke with the pen tool, you can the turn off the stroke.

Create the stroke that will be the distance of the "floating" stroke and use the pen tool to rough out the floating stroke
Screen-Shot-2019-01-12-at-07-50-21.png

Fit the stroke to the curves
Screen-Shot-2019-01-12-at-07-50-48.png

Apply the stroke width you want
Screen-Shot-2019-01-12-at-07-51-11.png

Turn off the stroke on the text
Screen-Shot-2019-01-12-at-07-51-26.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions