You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo Viewer that will open Affinity Photo files (neither Irfanview or Faststone can)

When I want to view images quickly I have always used Irfanview, which is great, except that in some situations, where I want to view an Affinity Photo file, outside of Affinity Photo, it cannot recognise it.  I was told by someone that Faststone can view Affinity files, but I have just tried and so far it refuses to recognise them.  Is there someway that I can get Faststone to do this, or is there another program I could use for the purpose?

Jafa - Just Another Fantastic Aucklander

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

Nik Collection and Topaz Denoise AI

Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz    32 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

Thanks, v_kyr -

Unfortunately, XnView MP is not free.  Have had a look at ACDSee and it seems that it may only show thumbnails, whilst I want to look at the images at 100% (and often above that).  Will keep researching, including having a closer look at AlternativeTo.

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

26 minutes ago, Jaffa said:

Unfortunately, XnView MP is not free.  Have had a look at ACDSee and it seems that it may only show thumbnails, whilst I want to look at the images at 100% (and often above that).  Will keep researching, including having a closer look at AlternativeTo.

XnViewMP is free for personal use, though not for commercial use.

Nothing will actually open .afphoto, .afdesign, or .afpub files except the Affinity products. However, Affinity will embed a thumbnail preview that some other programs can show, if enabled in the Affinity Preferences.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt

Sounds great!  Have had a look through the Edit>Preferences and cannot yet see where/how to do this.  Can you give me a pointer or two please.  :)

If it is "Save thumbnails with documents", then that is already ticked.

Jim

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

58 minutes ago, Jaffa said:

If it is "Save thumbnails with documents", then that is already ticked.

That's it. And some programs will show them.

I thought that XNViewMP did, but I'm not sure right now, as it doesn't seem to (any more?) for me.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

On Mac XNViewMP shows fine for afdesign and afphoto files

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

In Settings>General>General Tab      Make sure the first option, show all graphic formats is checked.  Then go to File list>Custom Filter and make sure the row that says Exclude has everything UNCHECKED.  Hope this helps. You should be seeing thumbnail previews for afdesign and afphoto files..if not, check in AD and AP to make sure you have the setting enabled to include thumbnails with your files.

Thanks. Today XNViewMP does seem to be showing the embedded thumbnails. Not sure why it didn't yesterday.

-- Walt
PC:

On 1/12/2019 at 2:39 AM, Pariah73 said:

Then go to File list>Custom Filter and make sure the row that says Exclude has everything UNCHECKED. 

It isn't strictly necessary to do that. It can be useful to limit the visibility of some file types, particularly those XNViewMP can't display much if any info about. The important thing is not to include any Affinity native file format extensions in the Extensions column (which is editable). So just make sure afphoto & afdesign are not included in that column & together with the General > Show all graphics formats option, you should be good to go.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, Pariah73 said:

in the exclude list is .svg  For me, I couldn't preview svg thumbnails until I had unchecked it

Instead of unchecking anything in the Exclude row, try double-clicking on the last item in that row, with the list of excluded file type extensions. That will highlight the text of the list, so you can edit it like any other line of text. Delete svg in the usual way & see if you can see svg file thumbnails. You may have to restart the app for this to take effect.

FWIW, below is how I have configured this on my Mac so I do see thumbnail previews of svg files.

270998303_XnVsettings.jpg.e07a49f67c0ada5dcb26425d94f34132.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...