You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

NEF not opening in develop persona

I have recently upgraded to a Nikon D5300 (from a D3100) and my NEF raw files do not open in developer and do not appear to be at all correct.  My D3100 raw files were fine.  I am attaching a screenshot of my desktop when I open the file showing the notification I get about the color profile and it also shows the size and details of the file.  Any help would be appreciated, as I am relatively new to this software and raw development.screenshot.thumb.jpg.fe12dcd3b0e23d660d31b862ec6ff7f2.jpg

57 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

The current public release (1.6) does not support your camera.

According to this list it is supported - I can process D5300 files OK on my Win10 system.  Perhaps the OP could attach one of the problem .NEF files?

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

1 hour ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @Nikonnut,

Welcome to the forums. 

The current public release (1.6) does not support your camera. However, we do support it in the latest 1.7 beta: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/61-affinity-photo-beta-forums/

Have a look. 

Thanks,

Gabe.

20 minutes ago, IanSG said:

According to this list it is supported - I can process D5300 files OK on my Win10 system.  Perhaps the OP could attach one of the problem .NEF files?

Thanks for the welcome Gabe!  It is on the list like IanSG said - I checked it out to see if that was the problem...   I will attach one of my test shots that shows the problem.  Can I use the beta 1.7?  If not, when will it be released for public use?

20190111_170636.NEF

That's not shown up as a NEF file at all, more like a 120 x 160 pixel JPG file thumb! - Looks like a image download from the internet at best to me (according to it's file name)? Might be corrupted and thus handled as a thumb preview instead.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

8 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

That's not shown up as a NEF file at all, more like a 120 x 160 pixel JPG file thumb! - Looks like a image download from the internet at best to me (according to it's file name)? Might be corrupted and thus handled as a thumb preview instead.

I know - and that was loaded directly from the camera to my laptop using the usb cord!  I had it happen first when I had tried to connect my camera and phone via internal wi-fi, so I deleted all of the test shots and did more without ever turning on wi-fi or connecting the phone - same result!  The file size (19MB) would seem to be correct, but like you said, it looks like a thumbnail.  If the file is getting corrupted, not sure where it would be happening.  The jpg files taken at the same time appear fine.

1 minute ago, GabrielM said:

My bad. Not sure why but I could not find it on the list( probably just a typo in the search field). That RAW fils it's definitely corrupt. It does not have any metadata. 

Any idea how it could be getting corrupted?  See above description of how I downloaded it.  I have checked the camera firmware, and it is up do date.  I'm at a loss...

It just occurred to me that the Nikon transfer program (Nikon transfer 2) was on my laptop for ages from when I got my D3100.  Maybe I need to update that!  All it does is transfer the files from the card to the folder on the laptop, but maybe that is where it is happening...  I'll check the CD that came with the new camera and see what version it has.  I'll report back what I find.

Well you can open it with Nikon NX-D but strangely it's image size with 1620 x 1080 pixel is very small here, did you set them up that small in cam (?) ...

nxd-exif-data.thumb.jpg.f353ff81c862236d8f2d485c04157f46.jpg

You may download more actual Nikon software versions here (combined NX-D & NX-i), those also update the Nikon transfer program. Or use a cardreader instead for file transfer from the SDcard.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

3 hours ago, Nikonnut said:

My laptop doesn't have a cardreader, and I never bought one for the usb... 

They're very cheap and definitely worth having, especialy if you can use USB 3.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

6 minutes ago, IanSG said:

They're very cheap and definitely worth having, especialy if you can use USB 3.

I was looking at them when I thought I may need to update my firmware, I'll pick one up.  I'm pretty new to all of this, and I'm learning a lot!  It is just something I enjoy doing to find some peace in the chaotic world!

Thanks again for everyone's help!