You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add to a lasso selection

Hello,

May I ask how to add on top of an existing lasso selection, via keyboard shortcut? I press L and make a selection. After letting go of L and mouse click, the selection is made. Now how can I continue ADDING NEW lasso selections from other parts of the image, appending onto the current selection?

I tried pressing SHIFT like in Photoshop, but it just switches over to polygonal lasso selection. I see the buttons on top for NEW, ADD, SUBTRACT, INTERSECT. But I'd like to know if Affinity has shortcuts for it.

Hope it makes sense and thanks

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

I'm curious, for you who are on Windows, does Drag+RightMouse really work to add to a selection? When I try it, I get the proper cursor with a plus sign, but no additional selection is made. When I move the mouse I get no additional marquee drawn.

On the other hand, switching to Add mode, I get the same cursor, and when I drag using the left mouse button I get a new selection added to the prior one. (This happens in both 1.6 and 1.7 of Photo.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

43 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm curious, for you who are on Windows, does Drag+RightMouse really work to add to a selection? When I try it, I get the proper cursor with a plus sign, but no additional selection is made. When I move the mouse I get no additional marquee drawn.

On the other hand, switching to Add mode, I get the same cursor, and when I drag using the left mouse button I get a new selection added to the prior one. (This happens in both 1.6 and 1.7 of Photo.)

The trick is to hold down the right-hand button and then release the left-hand mouse button first.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Yea it works. But it kinda feels bad to use. I primarily paint with a wacom... And my Rmb is the top most nub.. So I have to crimp my fingers upwards in a claw shape, while dragging. Lol. But that's just me, for mouse users I'd imagine it is  fine. 

• 1 year later...

Hi,

How does the 'RightMouse' work in Windows with a tablet? Everytime i use the RightMouse, a pop-up will appear because I 'RightClick' as well, and the popup is blocking my nodes. For example, Click+Rightmouse to Smooth node

Edited by drawup
update

On 8/11/2020 at 12:05 AM, Frozen Death Knight said:

@drawup Doesn't matter much anymore. In 1.8.4 they changed all R click+L click type of shortcuts to ctrl+alt+L click. Just hold down ctrl and alt while using your pen and mouse and you will be able to do what the old shortcut did. Alternatively you can use alt gr on the right side of the Spacebar key.

I'm using 1.8.4 already but there are still RightMouse + Clicks needed. 

For example, 'Drag + RightMouse' to move just nodes. 'Ctrl+ Alt' does not substitute 'RightMouse' like u suggested does not seem to perform the same, am i understanding it wrongly?

Edited by drawup

15 minutes ago, drawup said:

I'm using 1.8.4 already but there are still RightMouse + Clicks needed. 

For example, 'Drag + RightMouse' to move just nodes. 'Ctrl+ Alt' like u suggested does not seem to perform the same, am i missing a step?

Well, since I barely use that tool, I didn't come across this issue. However, now when you mentioned it, I sat down and tried it out myself, and I can also confirm this being the case. You are right that this is an inconsistency, since pretty much all the other shortcuts were changed.

I would suggest making a report about it, since the devs quite explicitly stated that they were removing all type of R click shortcuts while replacing them with modifiers instead.