You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF misbehaviour in other applications

Hi.

I generate some PDFs using X1A format and default Print format in Export menu, just added crop marks. A guy from a press office told me he's having a issue report when opening the PDF file in other apps (he tried with CorelDraw -- poor guy --, and I've tried to open using Illustrator).

Both are complaining that "An unknown shading type was encountered" and "An unknown imaging construct was encountered". Image ScreenShot1.png attached.

I click OK to see if there was any problem with the objects in the file and couldn't find any. But decided to send them to you, to check if there's some bad code involved when generating the PDFs...

By the way 1: the file adesivo.pdf is PDF X1A. The other, adesivo1.pdf is Print Default.
By the way 2: Take care of your kidneys, guys. Check renal function at least once a year (start with creating, and keep good habits). Living with hemodialysis is not what someone would wish...

screenshot1.png

dmr2019_adesivo.pdf

dmr2019_adesivo1.pdf

I have attached a ZIP file with both the revised APub file and the resultant PDF. It opens perfectly in CD 2018.

While you will get the shading error, it is of no effect. And as with all things AI, one can go too far in releasing clipping masks. If you do it only twice, you can delete the page clipping box. More than that and the gradient used will become a rectangle with the gradient which will be released from the shape mask. Illustrator has never dealt with gradients in a PDF properly (heck, it's never been good at opening PDFs. Period).

OK. Please note I have changed your file. The embedded documents have been removed and their contents copied onto the page and so some misalignment has likely occurred. This also means the kidney shapes have become CMYK instead of their RGB. If you really want them as RGB, you can have both document open with the embedded kidney shapes opened via editing the embedded document and viewing the values and editing the shapes in the revised file.

Note that the passthrough transparency on the kidney groups has been removed and multiply used on the appropriate shapes instead.

The other embedded documents have also been placed on the main page and the originals deleted.

Why did I do this with the embedded documents? Well, passthrough transparency can/does cause issues. Embedded documents can be rasterized at output (which happens with your file). If that doesn't matter to you, then just make the passthrough changes and export again. But as this document is being used in other vector editing applications (and only god knows why) then it is better to keep vector as vector instead of clipped bitmaps. 

Mike

dmr2019 adesivo 8x8cm-revised.zip

22 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I have attached a ZIP file with both the revised APub file and the resultant PDF. It opens perfectly in CD 2018.

While you will get the shading error, it is of no effect. And as with all things AI, one can go too far in releasing clipping masks. If you do it only twice, you can delete the page clipping box. More than that and the gradient used will become a rectangle with the gradient which will be released from the shape mask. Illustrator has never dealt with gradients in a PDF properly (heck, it's never been good at opening PDFs. Period).

OK. Please note I have changed your file. The embedded documents have been removed and their contents copied onto the page and so some misalignment has likely occurred. This also means the kidney shapes have become CMYK instead of their RGB. If you really want them as RGB, you can have both document open with the embedded kidney shapes opened via editing the embedded document and viewing the values and editing the shapes in the revised file.

Note that the passthrough transparency on the kidney groups has been removed and multiply used on the appropriate shapes instead.

The other embedded documents have also been placed on the main page and the originals deleted.

Why did I do this with the embedded documents? Well, passthrough transparency can/does cause issues. Embedded documents can be rasterized at output (which happens with your file). If that doesn't matter to you, then just make the passthrough changes and export again. But as this document is being used in other vector editing applications (and only god knows why) then it is better to keep vector as vector instead of clipped bitmaps. 

Mike

dmr2019 adesivo 8x8cm-revised.zip

You're master! I didn't notice they were RGB. I'll double check all other files.

I'm used to link files instead of embedding them, because (in this case) I have a lot of files using the same source (for instance, the kidneys). I got this file from the client, and didn't check the color mode. I'll try to fix this and rework the PDFs to see. Anyway, when I opened them in Illustrator, besides the message, the file was ok, ready for printing in CMYK...

Thanks a lot. 
Best regards from Brazil and I'll keep looking for issues and bug to help you make the best Publisher ever!

PS: I'd love to have data merge (someone teach me a way to bypass this, but sometimes I'd need more complex tool for some works)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.