You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Pub quits when scrolling

Hello;

I'm using Publisher Beta 1.7.0.206 on Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Home Premium 64-bit.

I have multiple pages in a publisher document. If I'm editing the later pages near the end of the document, then use the right scroll bar to navigate up to the earlier pages in the document, Affinity will close without warning. The application simply disappears, and any changes I've made to the document don't get saved. This will occur if I grab the scroll bar and quickly slide it up, or multiple-click in the scroll bar space to navigate up to the top of the document. This issue is repeatable. The only way around this is to creep up the scroll bar very very slowly.

Most likely the same issue as here.

How big is that file?

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

I should also mention that my document, as small as it is, uses quite a few small jpegs, about 200. Some of the graphics are photoshop files too, since I noticed Affinity allows PSD files to be used. Perhaps the crashes are related to these graphics. By navigating with the scroll bar very quickly, it may be the application cannot load/reload the number of jpegs/psds, and simply quits.

I'm using Windows 7, i7 CPU, 12 GB RAM, 64-bit OS and my graphics is a GeForce GTX 10050 Ti, running driver version 398.82

Hope this helps.

3 minutes ago, Frederick Felix said:

I should also mention that my document, as small as it is, uses quite a few small jpegs, about 200. Some of the graphics are photoshop files too, since I noticed Affinity allows PSD files to be used. Perhaps the crashes are related to these graphics. By navigating with the scroll bar very quickly, it may be the application cannot load/reload the number of jpegs/psds, and simply quits.

I'm using Windows 7, i7 CPU, 12 GB RAM, 64-bit OS and my graphics is a GeForce GTX 10050 Ti, running driver version 398.82

Hope this helps.

Interesting. My document also has 200 images, but bigger ones. Document size is around 500 MB.

Until now I was thinking it has to do with the file size, but it may be the amount of images regardless of their size.

After rasterizing all images there were no crashes anymore.

I think Publisher has a serious problem with 200+ images in a document.

I gave my file to @Jon P but he had no luck reproducing my problem. Maybe you also can share your file. You find a private link on the other topic.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

• Staff

Hi,

I do suspect this is related to documents with a large amount of images in, but unfortunately am still struggling to reproduce it here (even on a more resource limited VM), so I suspect there could be an issue related to certain drivers/hardware which I am investigating.

To help, any time the program "disappears" and has crashed could you please navigate to the following folder to see if there is a crash report, and if so attach it to this thread:

%AppData%\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports\reports

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

16 minutes ago, Jon P said:

To help, any time the program "disappears" and has crashed could you please navigate to the following folder to see if there is a crash report, and if so attach it to this thread:

%AppData%\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports\reports

Thanks

As requested. I hope this helps.

CrashReports.zip

Hi @Jon P , I got a crash report for you and attached it here. I also sent everything relevent to your dropbox link, including the publisher document, the graphics folder, the pdf output, and the crash reports dated today (there were 2 of them), all in a zip file as requested in your email. I included an "info" file so you know what you're looking at.

I hope this helps. For some reason it wasn't as easy to reproduce the crash this last time but, as explained in the info file, it eventually did. I included my graphics driver info, etc.

Thanks

bca48095-290f-4fe3-9562-7089bcb0069e.dmp

• 1 month later...

I haven't heard any results on this topic, and I think I should tell you that it hasn't yet been resolved.

I recently updated Publisher to 1.7.0.238, and I'll admit it isn't as frequent, but dragging the scroll bar to move through the document I provided you with still causes Publisher to crash. Nothing has changed on my end, the document is the same, my graphics driver is the same, etc.

Good luck. I think you have a long way to go before this can be released.

• Staff

Hi Frederick,

Apologies for the delay in my reply, we had a few reports of customers getting issues with a crash whilst scrolling and have identified one of the issues, but it turns out it this isn't the cause of the crashes you are experiencing.

We are still investigating this and i'll update you with any new information.

Do you have crash dumps from the newest build? It would help us narrow this down a bit further.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

• 11 months later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (User file crashes app when scrolling) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.