You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

wishes and Questions.

Hi,  i have at the moment to    "reconstruct  a  master-layout for everything in my company  A4   megadocument."

This worked only by importing the pdf of the indesign original file...     Now of course everything is formatted,  and the aim is to reconstruct styles, layout and everything, so later on we will get a template for our company, to build up on.. 

1.  is there a way to make an empty new style, and tell it to get "All"  Attributes from the line or word, or what so ever..  like a pipette tool for textstyles ?   ( it takes long time to make a new style, swith to the textstyles, look everywhere for everything, goback to your new style, fill in the attributes by hand..   look again for paragraph attributes and so on and so on...   so. this would be handy..

2. the other way round..  if i have a style and want it in many sections of a document.     i  have to open the frame klick in the text, search again for my style,   search the next textarea for the style, repeat repeat repeat...   wouldnt it be nice just to have a  style-brush-icon  and functionality...   Open Office or Staroffice once had something available... very very handy.. 

get text paint style.jpg

Something you can do: use some inDesign script (I don't have the link today, but I can search it if needed), to export the text of your ID files with the styles as RTF or DOC files.

Best would be to first use some other scripts, scripts that'll create in your ID files block of text using each one of your paragraph and character styles on a different line, before exporting as RTF or DOC files.

This way, you'll be able to import in APub all your text and character styles, and only have to adjust the missing elements or fine tune them.

After reflexion, I suppose you don't have ID anymore, or you'll have use the simplest way : copying/pasting from ID to keep text and formatting of your document.

Perhaps ot would be best to get all the files you need to convert and use an ID demo to do this in the 30 days provided.

From my tests, importing PDF in APub is better than trying to export it from Adobe reader, or other apps, or copying it from PDF.

But it was easier to copy (again) this text from APub to Libre Office/Word to correct the errors and do some advanced search and replace. Once done, I was able to copy-paste the tidied text in APub.

It was the best worflow I found when working from a PDF with limited tools (no original file).

Interesting.. I wasn't sure you could exchange style formats in Apub...but  digging a bit deeper it is pretty straightforward.

1. If select text...and then select the 'create paragraph style' at footer of text styles you can attach the existing formatting to a new style (so you can pick up the style and name it)

2. Find and replace has the option of exchanging Paragraph and Character Styles from any existing one in the style panel/s (select the cog icon and choose your style)....I didn't know you could do this....:)...brilliant..that is really useful!..

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

Worked for me also...:)! ..the feature is a bit hidden away on the Find and Replace Panel.....but is very useful...

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

For the ones that need the scripts to do clean exports of styles from ID (until we've got IDML import): here the 3 scripts.

• List_Character_Styles & List_Paragraph_Styles will list the style in a new frame in the margin of the 1st page of the document (it come from: Dave Saunders). It helps having ALL the character and pparagraph styles used in a frame (for copying-pasting in APub) or exported with the following script.
  • Export_Book: can export all yours ID stories in a RTF of DOC, keeping the styles (so you can import/copy paste them later in APub).

IDscripts.zip