You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - DxO Photo Lab 2

Gerry Fraiberg

As I learn Photo, I decided to edit the same image in Photo then in DxO Photo Lab 2. My photo editing workflow starts in Lightroom 6 (no subscription for me) for asset management, quick edits, applying a watermark and to create online galleries for client review. I've been using DxO for a few years. One downside is the .afphoto file in this exercise is 545 MB. The Nikon NEF or RAW file from a D7500 is 24.9 MB. After editing in DxO Photo Lab 2, the image goes back to LR6 as a TIFF - 28.5 MB, so DxO wins over Affinity as far as hard drive economy goes. Interestingly, the JPEG from Photo is smaller, but that might be due to the intermediate TIFF. I intend to use Affinity Photo for composites (layers) and graphic screens with text for video.

The image with the watermark was edited in DxO, then sent back to LR for watermark and resized for export. The image without the watermark was edited and resized in Photo. There are subtle differences as a result of the way the two softwares process images. At the moment, DxO does the best job for noise reduction in RAW or NEF images. By the way, the photo is of fringes on a scarf hanging on stair railing in morning sun. It caught my eye as I was going by.

1901_Fringes_001_DxO.jpg

1901_Fringes_001-af.jpg

Edited by Gerry Fraiberg
added image description.

HenrikM, thanks for your post. I had not noticed the Export to Application feature in DxO. Very nice! I assume you are exporting jpegs since your are processing the RAW files in DxO. Are there any settings on the options panel that work better than other settings for doing this export.

I have something new to play with now!

Cheers,

Joseph

Solly

JFSJ

N3MKH

3 minutes ago, Solly said:

HenrikM, thanks for your post. I had not noticed the Export to Application feature in DxO. Very nice! I assume you are exporting jpegs since your are processing the RAW files in DxO. Are there any settings on the options panel that work better than other settings for doing this export.

DxO links to Lightroom with a plugin, which shows at the far right up on the black horizontal bar below the Essential Tools palettes. Without the plugin, you likely see a blue button labeled Export to disk. I usually export an 8-bit Tiff, which gives a bigger file but keeps the colour information from DxO for further processing in LR. JPEG would work as well if you're just passing through to Export. If I shoot an event and edit down to 60-70 images, I edit in LR only, often starting with JPEGs in camera. Shooting NEF (Nikon) or RAW offers more editing options. As for Export settings, it depends on what your end goal is. Are you exporting for print at 300 dpi or 72 dpi JPEG for social media on the web? I mainly export to LR, and then use the export functions there which allow me to change file names if needed and add my watermark.

• 2 months later...

I just took up DxO's April promo offer on Photolab2 promo and I think I have my perfect workflow. I was reluctant to fork out more on top of Nik Collection but I don't think my investment is wasted. I got Photolab2 Elite for less then half the retail price.:1_grinning:

Still testing but here is my workflow:

1. Use Photolab2 photo library and process my RAW files. RAW development tools like CLEARVIEW, PRIME and Local Adjustments are awsom. No need for Viveza as Local adjustments utilises U-Point technology and covers what Viveza would have done.

2. Export into Affinity using sidecar feature. Photolab will convert to TIF and open in Affinity.

3. Run Nik Collection filters within Affinity as required bar Viveza.

4. Carry out other image enhancements/repairs in Affinity using layers.

5. Finish.

Results are stunning.

So far Photolab2 and Affinity Photo (WIN) are working very well together.

Note: I mostly use 16bit TIF files and that's what I am passing between the two applications.