You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tiny/enormous text in flowed text frame

This problem has shown up a couple of times for me now. Suddenly a few lines of text will become microscopically small and I can't figure out what's wrong or how to fix it. It seems to happen where one text frame flows into another. The first pdf shows the problem. This is also how it looks in Publisher. If I adjust the left text frame to pull those lines onto the first page they then show up there at the correct size, but the following text is enormous, as shown in the second pdf. All of the text is styled identically.

Is this happening for anyone else?

FrontMatter.pdf

FrontMatter2.pdf

Text boxes have two resize handles in the lower-right corner.  One of them causes the size of the content to scale in addition to the box itself.

If you resized one of the boxes using the handle that resizes the content in addition to the box, then when the text flows into that box it will be scaled in proportion to the way that box was resized.

Is it possible that you are running into this?

51 minutes ago, Sparky2 said:

Thanks fed101. I don't recall resizing either box with the incorrect handle, but if I had, wouldn't that have resized all of the text in that box instead of just the first couple of lines?

Yes.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, Sparky2 said:

Thanks fed101. I don't recall resizing either box with the incorrect handle, but if I had, wouldn't that have resized all of the text in that box instead of just the first couple of lines?

Yes, but it's a question sometimes of when you did the resizing/rescaling of the text frame and when the text overflowed into it and when the additional text was created. And unfortunately we can't see the sequence of events that happened.

Using the bottom right handle to resize text frames has caused problems like you describe for several other users.

But another question, if you don't think that explains it: How did you get the text into the frame(s) in the first place? Did you type it in Publisher? Copy from somewhere (where?) and paste into Publisher? Or something else?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I created an empty text box to fit the margins of the first page and set the style that I wanted. I then copied the text from a Word document and pasted it into the text box. With the first page filled I clicked on the red arrow head and loaded the cursor and with that drew another text box for the next page, continuing to do so until the text was all placed. Then I went back and made the names bold and only after that did I notice the problem. I didn't do any resizing of the text boxes until I noticed the problem, and then just for troubleshooting purposes.

Thanks for the added info. Just one suggestion: if you would shift-click on the red arrow you wouldn't have to add new pages and draw new text frames. Publisher will do all that for you.

As you pasted without formatting, and as you did not resize any of the frames after drawing them initially, it is likely to be a bug.

It's likely that, to diagnose this, the Serif team will need both your .afpub file showing the problem, and the Word document you copied/pasted from. But as fde101 said, they'll need to weigh in.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Sparky2,

I've seen this reported before, but we've been unable to reproduce it. I've just tried it again and still not had any luck. Would it be possible for you to do a screen recording replicating the creation of your document if possible please?

Thanks!

Hi Sean,

I ended up fixing it by deleting and then recreating those text frames (not thinking to save the corrupted version). Since then it hasn't reappeared, so I'm afraid that I can't provide a screen recording of that particular instance, but if it shows up again I will try to get you something.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.