You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It is great that there is the possibility of own library of objects (Assets) however I don't have the thumbnail preview option like size of the thumbnail and named objects will display the name only when you move the mouse over object. Setting thumbnail size would be great!

If you click on the hamburger menu (horizontal lines to the right of the Assets tab) you can choose "View as List" which will get larger icons and the names displayed.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...
48 minutes ago, Beacon Publishing said:

Is there anyway to display the assets with NAME ONLY

Not that I know of.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thanks walt,

Boy, I don't mean to be naggy, but this is an issue. I honestly find MANY amazing things about Affinity Publisher. I really do. But some of the default nuances are just plain TOO cluttered and this is just one of them. For ad building, I feel these things might to be an issue. But for building my newspapers, I need access to clean and uncluttered panels and desk areas. There are quite a few areas that get needlessly cluttered, in my opinion, and this is one of them. 

I realize, or guess, that you are user and not a product designer, so my pointing these issues out is probably unfair. Maybe you know who I can write to? Support perhaps?

Would you mind if I shared a screenshot with you that gives you an idea of why I find these HUGE asset panels a problem? If you would rather not, I understand. 

Again, thanks you for your help and input.

2 minutes ago, Beacon Publishing said:

I realize, or guess, that you are user and not a product designer, so my pointing these issues out is probably unfair. Maybe you know who I can write to? Support perhaps?

Yes, just a user.

You can post a Feature Request asking for a change in this forum (Feedback for Affinity Publisher on Desktop); that's one of its purposes.

4 minutes ago, Beacon Publishing said:

Would you mind if I shared a screenshot with you that gives you an idea of why I find these HUGE asset panels a problem? If you would rather not, I understand

Screenshots are quite welcome :)

-- Walt
PC:

16 minutes ago, Beacon Publishing said:

You can post a Feature Request asking for a change in this forum (Feedback for Affinity Publisher on Desktop); that's one of its purposes.

Is this another forum topic I should search for and jump into? Not sure I know what you mean. 🙂

This topic (that we're talking in) is in that forum. If you're using a web browser on a desktop-size screen, look at the breadcrumbs at the top of the page:

image.png.1349bc3179e49d53e51dc4f745601b99.png

In your browser you can click on any of those items. Assets is the current topic. The one above that is the forum the topic is in (Feedback for Affinity Publisher on Desktop). Above that is a parent forum (Feature Requests and Suggestions), and above that its parent (Affinity Support) and above that the top of the forum tree (Home).

I recommend for education in the forum structure that you start at Home, read the names and descriptions on that page, then work down to the next level.

-- Walt
PC:

Thanks for the screenshot. I've never seen thumbnails that big. I'm not sure why that's happening.

However, it looks like you have the Assets panel and Pages panel floating, so they are always visible and taking up space that the image in your workspace image could be using. If you dock them in the left studio area, you may have more room for your page display. Also, you probably don't need both Pages and Assets visible at the same time, so if you had them in the same set then you could switch back-and-forth from one to the other with a mouse click, giving you more room.

If you do want to have Assets floating for some reason, you can setup a keyboard shortcut to "toggle" its appearance. Press the key and it comes back; press again and it's hidden.

-- Walt
PC:

Like I said, I am just now feeling my way around this program, so what you are looking at is a general setup that I am used to in InDesign. I haven't established how I would generally like the workspace setup in Publisher. 🙂 I do have my InDesign habits and spaces for quick access. Normally I don't have my pages open 100% of the time, but I do have things tacked for quick access. I will share another screenshot of my InDesign setup. So, learning to function with elements and panels in a different place could be managed, it's just a reacquaintance-curve. BUT, those clunky, disorganized assets in the asset panel are definite NO-GO. Like I said. I have hundreds. And I use them all. Last thing I want is hundreds of those thumbnails screaming out at me trying to locate the one I want. 

Here is what my InDesign panels look like. This does not include the entire page space that the Publisher screenshot shows. See how clean this looks with just names only? Also note the shorter panels to the right that create the pop-out panel to the left. Cleaner still. Those three panels named "Columnists," "Headers 2012," and "Layout Stuff 2012" are all equally loaded with objects.

Also,this forum is telling me I have maxed my number of posts per day. So I won't be able to respond again. 

Thanks for your help today.

InDesign Library Layout Stuff.png

Edited by Beacon Publishing

10 minutes ago, Beacon Publishing said:

So, if I have suggestions for their product design team, would I enter the Feature Requests and Suggestions forum?

Yes, then work down to the proper product forum for that suggestion, and then either reply to an existing topic or create a new topic.

-- Walt
PC: