You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Trouble with the rotate function

Hi,

I have some trouble with the rotate function (via Studio/transform). If I duplicate the layer I want to rotate, then choose the Move-button and then the transform function I have either the problem that -90° is shown instead of 0° so that the picture will rotate by 90° per step, or, what is worse, if I duplicate the last layer, which has - luckily - been rotated by 6°, the duplicated layer does not rotate any more. If I look into the transformation function of this layer, it shows 6 ° but nothing happens. What is the problem?? Thank you for your help.

Rotation.tiff

• Staff

Hi IngridSzalies,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I'm not sure i understood you correctly but if you duplicated a layer that was already rotated 6º the new layer will have the same exact rotation value. The Transform panel reflects/remembers the rotation values already applied to an object (in case you need to revert the rotation or adjust it you can do so precisely). So if you want rotate the duplicated pixel layer another 6º you have to select it and enter 12º in the rotation filed of the Transform Studio.

Vector objects do have an option in the context toolbar to temporarily reset the rotation value of an previously rotated object so you can insert a new value from 0º (the Reset Selection Box icon) but this is not available for pixel layers. Not sure if i addressed your issue correctly? Let me know if not. 

Hi and thank you for your quick answer.

I understand that the new layer which is duplicated from a layer which has already been rotated by e.g. 6° has exactly this 6° so this would have no impact. But strangely enough I succeeded in doing that for the first time...I got an Affinity guide book which says to do so to get a picture like the one you see in the attachment. If I had to type in 6/12/18/24 and so on this would be elaborate and as I said before I once succeeded ...

IMG_9056.jpg

SkyeRotation.jpg

• Staff

Thanks for the additional details. You are using the Power Duplicate functionality - make sure you don't deselect the first duplicate to which you applied the rotation, otherwise it will not work. So resuming: create the first object, press ⌘ (cmd) +J to duplicate it, rotate the duplicate 6º - don't deselect it -, then press ⌘ (cmd) +J continuously to keep repeating the duplication and rotate transformation.