You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wahoo! Linked Files!

AP just asked me if I would like to link my images instead of embedding - that' a nice suprise!
But I could not find a way to actively force AP to link (or unlink) a file in a Dokument. There seems to be no entry in the help...

When you start a new document you get the option in the new document dialog to set the Image Placement Policy to linked or Embedded. This can also be changed after the fact through the Document setup dialog which will affect resources added after the change. You can also use the resource manager to convert image between linked and embedded

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

9 hours ago, Chris_K said:

You can also use the resource manager to convert image between linked and embedded

In Photo? That seems to be only a Publisher feature, so far.

And in other posts I'm sure I've seen Serif staff say that the linked vs embedded is going to be removed for Photo and Designer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 1/11/2019 at 11:42 AM, Chris_K said:

When you start a new document you get the option in the new document dialog to set the Image Placement Policy to linked or Embedded. This can also be changed after the fact through the Document setup dialog which will affect resources added after the change. You can also use the resource manager to convert image between linked and embedded

Cheers

I can't get an image to be linked even if I select "Prefer Linked" in the New Document dialog. When I drag and drop a big JPG image (~20 mb) in the document and then save that document, the file size is quite big (~25 mb). So I don't think the link thing is working. Isn't the main purpose of linking to keep the document size small by referencing a file rather than having it physically in the document?

Also, where can I find Document Setup dialog and Resource Manager? I searched the help but it didn't return any results.

I'm using Photo 1.7.0.209 (Beta)

Thanks!

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.