You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating a white border around the image?

It sure would be helpful if topic starters would specify Photo or Designer for those of us who are relatively new to Affinity and have one or the other, but not both. Even better, dedicated forums for each. I don't use AP and can't count the times I've seen interesting topics, only to discover it doesn't involve Designer after spending time reading through a few posts. For instance, the topic of this thread is "Creating a white border around the image?" which can apply to both AD and AP. BTW, adding borders in AD is super easy. :)

@jmwellborn, what program are you using for the book layout?

6 minutes ago, Ballyshannon said:

BTW, adding borders in AD is super easy. :)

I think it is exactly the same? If it is an Image layer, you can apply a Stroke,

fst.jpg.1e6a5e81a7c0f199cd1470d07ea914ff.jpg

if it is a Pixel layer, strokes don't work so you have to add an outline.

In Designer, you do have to enter the Pixel Persona to add an Outline.

Do you have an easier method ? please tell :)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

15 hours ago, Ballyshannon said:

It sure would be helpful if topic starters would specify Photo or Designer for those of us who are relatively new to Affinity and have one or the other, but not both. Even better, dedicated forums for each. I don't use AP and can't count the times I've seen interesting topics, only to discover it doesn't involve Designer after spending time reading through a few posts. For instance, the topic of this thread is "Creating a white border around the image?" which can apply to both AD and AP. BTW, adding borders in AD is super easy. :)

@jmwellborn, what program are you using for the book layout?

I am using Affinity Publisher beta v. 206.   Knowing that we are advised to use it with caution for finished products.   It is working beautifully.    I am adding borders to the selected illustrations — which I have already spruced up — using Affinity Photo.   Then saving the  new images both as JPEGs and as .afphoto files, so I can go back later if I still need to adjust something.     As a former long-time user of InDesign and Pagemaker, I am alreadly extremely happy with Publisher.  It will get better and better!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

@Ballyshannon

You should note that @jmwellborn has only a small project. This is important. Your project may be larger and you are likely to experience problems with a bigger project size.

Just proceed with caution, have a backup plan and save often. 

And consider provoding your file in the Bug section if you experience problems with Publisher beta. :)

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

3 hours ago, Steps said:

@Ballyshannon

You should note that @jmwellborn has only a small project. 

And precisely what gave you that idea?   Or where?    I wrote "book" not "booklet."    Publisher is doing a splendid job so far.    On a BOOK.    

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

16 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

And precisely what gave you that idea?   Or where?    I wrote "book" not "booklet."    Publisher is doing a splendid job so far.    On a BOOK.    

We both talked about your "book" before and it came quite clear to me from your statements. :)

Also look into the bug section. All big projects ran into problems after a certain size. Your project is to small for that.

If you suggest someone to use the beta for a "book" you should at least warn them that their use case may differ. Otherwise you lead them into false safety.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

Again, I would like to thank toltec and firstdefence for their graciousness in carefully demonstrating how to solve the issue at hand in this topic.    I have learned that the best way to use these three lovely Affinity applications is to follow the advice of the Affinity technical staff and persons with long experience and demonstrated ability to help, when I need sorting.   Meanwhile, for fun, I have attached a screenshot of one of my favorites from President Ronald Reagan.   With the added comment that Affinity Publisher -- in my opinion -- is not a pony.   It is a future winner of the Grand National.   And now back to work.

909117317_ScreenShot2019-01-14at1_13_23PM.thumb.png.35cb9eda95335a81f69b94c70102afed.png   

I am using Designer V. 1.6.5.135.

Prior to Designer I used Serif DrawPlus for many years. In DrawPlus I was able to create a contour around an object that was independent of the object and have been trying to find a way to do that in Designer. The closest answer I have found was in this thread. Someone said to select the object, left click on its icon in the Layer panel, then do Select > Outline. That's where I came to a brick wall. I have no Outline option in Select. Nor do I have Document, Arrange or Filter in my menu. Am I using an outdated version of Designer? If so, how do I update? Thanks.

3 hours ago, gypsiwoman said:

Someone said to select the object, left click on its icon in the Layer panel, then do Select > Outline. That's where I came to a brick wall. I have no Outline option in Select.

You must switch to the Pixel Persona for Outline to appear in the Select menu in Affinity Designer.

3 hours ago, gypsiwoman said:

Nor do I have Document, Arrange or Filter in my menu.

These menu items are in Affinity Photo, not Affinity Designer.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

18 hours ago, R C-R said:

You must switch to the Pixel Persona for Outline to appear in the Select menu in Affinity Designer.

These menu items are in Affinity Photo, not Affinity Designer.

Thanks for the reply.  

I selected my object, switched to Pixel persona and opened Select. The Outline feature was at the bottom of the menu but it was grayed out and I couldn't select it. Are you familiar with the DrawPlus contour feature? I'm trying to replicate that in Designer.

Employ Chuck Norris

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

5 hours ago, gypsiwoman said:

I selected my object, switched to Pixel persona and opened Select. The Outline feature was at the bottom of the menu but it was grayed out and I couldn't select it.

Did you make a pixel ("marching ants") selection with one of the selection tools (like the Selection Brush Tool or Free hand Selection Tool) first?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I am experiencing a very odd problem with this.   Everything works according to the careful instructions above from toltec and firstdefence, but then there is an erratic and unexplainable turn of events.   Sometimes EDIT>Fill works, and sometimes it doesn't and I am left with the marching ants and an inability to fill the border1837549951_ScreenShot2019-01-21at4_03_59PM.thumb.png.db5c5e86531901fcbb791cdc72d07635.png.   All images are imported as JPEGs.   I have attached a screen shot, and would appreciate a way to sort this out.   This is happening in both Photo 1.6.11 and the Photo Beta.   

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, none of these options work with images that have been cropped.... thanks no doubt to that annoying non destructive cropping feature.

Resizing the canvas on a cropped image just turns to disaster.

I had high hopes with Affinity, but so far it has been a big disappointment... looks like I'll have to go back to Photoshop or Corel's Paint Shop Pro.

:(

On 10/25/2019 at 7:57 PM, Weeneedepoo said:

Resizing the canvas on a cropped image just turns to disaster.

How so?

Affinity Photo 

• 2 years later...

All I wanted was a square-cornered white border around my photos. I spent a huge part of the afternoon trying to figure this out.

With Layer Effects, I was able to put a border around the image, but could not square the corners.

How I finally achieved this was to:

a) Size the photo frame to fit within the margins.

b) Use Frame Properties to anchor the image to the center of the frame. (otherwise you may see uneven borders.

c) Do the same and scale to minimum fit (you may desire a different option).

c) Select the photo inside the frame and apply a stroke of the desired size. Options (avail. next to the stroke button in the top menu bar) Square cap, Miter join, Align stroke to outside.

d) (Here's the part I was missing) Shrink the photo itself within the frame to reveal the stroke.

It would be helpful if this were easier, but at least it can be done. Hope this helps anyone else trying to do this.

12 hours ago, DanM said:

It would be helpful if this were easier

It sounds like you are complicating things a bit.
Can you give us a visual example of what you want to achieve, and in which application(s) you want to achieve it?
Once we can see what you are trying to get – “square-cornered white border” can be interpreted in many ways – we can probably offer some better methods.

13 hours ago, DanM said:

All I wanted was a square-cornered white border around my photos. I spent a huge part of the afternoon trying to figure this out.

With Layer Effects, I was able to put a border around the image, but could not square the corners.

How I finally achieved this was to:

a) Size the photo frame to fit within the margins.

b) Use Frame Properties to anchor the image to the center of the frame. (otherwise you may see uneven borders.

c) Do the same and scale to minimum fit (you may desire a different option).

c) Select the photo inside the frame and apply a stroke of the desired size. Options (avail. next to the stroke button in the top menu bar) Square cap, Miter join, Align stroke to outside.

d) (Here's the part I was missing) Shrink the photo itself within the frame to reveal the stroke.

It would be helpful if this were easier, but at least it can be done. Hope this helps anyone else trying to do this.

1. Open Image
  2. Add rectangle, set to no fill and a white inner stroke with width of your choosing.
  3. Scale image holding ⌘ key to show as much of the image as possible without compromising it's aspect ratio.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 11/28/2021 at 5:15 AM, firstdefence said:
  1. Open Image
  2. Add rectangle, set to no fill and a white inner stroke with width of your choosing.
  3. Scale image holding ⌘ key to show as much of the image as possible without compromising it's aspect ratio.

That's a whole lot easier. I guess I thought there would be a simple way to do that by just adding a stroke or filling the picture frame. Thank you!