AffinityNewbie7

Creating a white border around the image?

It sure would be helpful if topic starters would specify Photo or Designer for those of us who are relatively new to Affinity and have one or the other, but not both. Even better, dedicated forums for each. I don't use AP and can't count the times I've seen interesting topics, only to discover it doesn't involve Designer after spending time reading through a few posts. For instance, the topic of this thread is "Creating a white border around the image?" which can apply to both AD and AP. BTW, adding borders in AD is super easy. :)

@jmwellborn, what program are you using for the book layout?

6 minutes ago, Ballyshannon said:

BTW, adding borders in AD is super easy. :)

I think it is exactly the same? If it is an Image layer, you can apply a Stroke,

fst.jpg.1e6a5e81a7c0f199cd1470d07ea914ff.jpg

if it is a Pixel layer, strokes don't work so you have to add an outline.

In Designer, you do have to enter the Pixel Persona to add an Outline.

Do you have an easier method ? please tell :)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

15 hours ago, Ballyshannon said:

It sure would be helpful if topic starters would specify Photo or Designer for those of us who are relatively new to Affinity and have one or the other, but not both. Even better, dedicated forums for each. I don't use AP and can't count the times I've seen interesting topics, only to discover it doesn't involve Designer after spending time reading through a few posts. For instance, the topic of this thread is "Creating a white border around the image?" which can apply to both AD and AP. BTW, adding borders in AD is super easy. :)

@jmwellborn, what program are you using for the book layout?

I am using Affinity Publisher beta v. 206.   Knowing that we are advised to use it with caution for finished products.   It is working beautifully.    I am adding borders to the selected illustrations — which I have already spruced up — using Affinity Photo.   Then saving the  new images both as JPEGs and as .afphoto files, so I can go back later if I still need to adjust something.     As a former long-time user of InDesign and Pagemaker, I am alreadly extremely happy with Publisher.  It will get better and better!

@Ballyshannon

You should note that @jmwellborn has only a small project. This is important. Your project may be larger and you are likely to experience problems with a bigger project size.

Just proceed with caution, have a backup plan and save often. 

And consider provoding your file in the Bug section if you experience problems with Publisher beta. :)

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1809). Intel Core i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz, 16 GB memory.
Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.0.206.

16 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

And precisely what gave you that idea?   Or where?    I wrote "book" not "booklet."    Publisher is doing a splendid job so far.    On a BOOK.    

We both talked about your "book" before and it came quite clear to me from your statements. :)

Also look into the bug section. All big projects ran into problems after a certain size. Your project is to small for that.

If you suggest someone to use the beta for a "book" you should at least warn them that their use case may differ. Otherwise you lead them into false safety.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1809). Intel Core i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz, 16 GB memory.
Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.0.206.

Again, I would like to thank toltec and firstdefence for their graciousness in carefully demonstrating how to solve the issue at hand in this topic.    I have learned that the best way to use these three lovely Affinity applications is to follow the advice of the Affinity technical staff and persons with long experience and demonstrated ability to help, when I need sorting.   Meanwhile, for fun, I have attached a screenshot of one of my favorites from President Ronald Reagan.   With the added comment that Affinity Publisher -- in my opinion -- is not a pony.   It is a future winner of the Grand National.   And now back to work.

909117317_ScreenShot2019-01-14at1_13_23PM.thumb.png.35cb9eda95335a81f69b94c70102afed.png