You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New from clipboard makes wrong size

10 minutes ago, Christian Kogler said:

Affinity pasted my selection, but into a far too big canvas

It sounds as though you have a DPI mismatch.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Christian Kogler said:

What can I do to solve it?

Set the DPI of the new document to the same number as the DPI number of the one you copied from. If you want more details about how to do that, please tell us which Affinity app you are using.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 1/11/2019 at 9:25 AM, Christian Kogler said:

Affinity pasted my selection, but into a far too big canvas

For a moment forget about DPI but think in terms of RESOLUTION

Do the following test:

Make a selection from the original image
Edit > Copy to copy it to the clipboard and keep the selection active

File > New From Clipboard  (which is what you say you're doing)
Document > Resize Document
Note the resolution = width x height

Move back to the original image
Select > Invert Pixel Selection
press delete
deselect the selection
Document > Clip Canvas
Document > Resize
Note the resolution = width x height

Compare both resolutions
They are identical isn't it ?

Conclusion : "New From Clipboard" does the job correctly !!

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

On 1/11/2019 at 3:25 AM, Christian Kogler said:

Hi, 

I selected an area of a picture, copied it, then made a new document using the "new from clipboard command" and Affinity pasted my selection, but into a far too big canvas. It didn't take my command "new from clipboard" obviously. Could that be a bug? 

So many BUGS when it comes to New from Clipboard. (or, maybe it's all just one bug....)

If you have any FX, or Live Filters nested (in mask or clip position), that require any distance input, that distance will be added to the canvas when doing New from Clipboard. Happens EVEN IF the FX is set to inside or the filter has preserve alpha checked. And It will still happen if the Live Filter visibility is turned off.
It's also the case on Vectors.... with the added insult of, if a shape has an inside stroke the new canvas will be as big as if the stroke were set to center.

O.o

4 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

If you have any FX, or Live Filters nested (in mask or clip position), that require any distance input, that distance will be added to the canvas when doing New from Clipboard. Happens EVEN IF the FX is set to inside or the filter has preserve alpha checked. And It will still happen if the Live Filter visibility is turned off.
It's also the case on Vectors.... with the added insult of, if a shape has an inside stroke the new canvas will be as big as if the stroke were set to center.

It is possible I have misunderstood what you mean here but I do not seem to be seeing this, at least for vectors. Is it possible this has something to do with a preference setting, like maybe "Copy items as SVG" or something?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

48 minutes ago, R C-R said:

It is possible I have misunderstood what you mean here but I do not seem to be seeing this, at least for vectors. Is it possible this has something to do with a preference setting, like maybe "Copy items as SVG" or something?

Do you see it with raster?

Re vectors do you mean the FX/filter thing? Or Just a simple stroke alignment? 
This is what I get with a simple stroke (copy as SVG or not). 
It's the same for the other scenarios... both AD and APh.
510781099_NEWCROMCLIPVECTORS.gif.92575930d10a551e5302d848b771b095.gif

10 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

This is what I get with a simple stroke (copy as SVG or not). 

I guess I am still missing something because what your GIF shows is exactly what I expect (& get) from "New from Clipboard" -- the stroke is the same size & aligned the same way in the new & original document, & both have the same bounding box W & H values.

If you mean the X & Y coordinates change in the Transform panel, I am not sure if that is because in the original it is referencing the rotation center, which may not be set to exactly the same position as the center anchor reference in the new copy, or what.

Or maybe it is just that I am old & easily confused?

Affinity Photo 

12 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I guess I am still missing something because what your GIF shows is exactly what I expect (& get) from "New from Clipboard" -- the stroke is the same size & aligned the same way in the new & original document, & both have the same bounding box W & H values.

If you mean the X & Y coordinates change in the Transform panel, I am not sure if that is because in the original it is referencing the rotation center, which may not be set to exactly the same position as the center anchor reference in the new copy, or what.

Or maybe it is just that I am old & easily confused?

This is what I would expect from copying an inside stroke > new from clip.
I would think the canvas (that's what this thread is about right?) would be tight to the shape/bounding box.
509056639_ScreenShot2019-01-18at7_28_56PM.png.d9c709e11520fc8db856b3a599afadad.png

2 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

I would think the canvas (that's what this thread is about right?) would be tight to the shape/bounding box.

OK, I (finally) see what you mean. It does look like a bug.

Affinity Photo