Sign in to follow this  
mbieh

Integration of Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher (Windows Version) to the Chocolatey package manager

Hi,

The title says it all. Please add your installation files to the Chocolatey package manager for Windows .

choco_install.gif

So that I can further optimize and automate my software update processes. Affinity Photo and Designer are one of the last tools on my computer that need to be updated manually.

Best regards

Welcome to the Affinity forums, @mbieh.

Are there other commercial packages (ones you have to pay for, and get a license for) on Chocolatey? 

I have a hard time envisioning how paying and license management would work in that environment.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, April 2018 Update (1803), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.209 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.209 Beta
Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.221 Beta

For example https://chocolatey.org/packages/winrar.

It simply installs the trial version of WinRAR, into which you can then insert your serial number or file. From then on it uses the update mechanism to always write over the existing installation. But your license is still there. Just as if you were downloading the installer from the website and running it.

I think if Affinty's update behavior is the same, it could just as easily work. Someone has to maintain the packages.

Thanks. Unfortunately, the Affinity trial version does not (I think) work quite the same way. You do not upgrade from the Trial version to the purchased version by inserting your license number. You uninstall the Trial, and install the purchased version.

Assuming Serif were willing to package for Chocolatey, they would have to package the purchased version, which would when opened ask for the license number. But the user would have no way to get the Trial version except by downloading it from the separate Affinity store.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, April 2018 Update (1803), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.209 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.209 Beta
Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.221 Beta