right, just bought this app, and I am more than a little confused about the behaviour of the node tool. it seems pretty well-established that it is laggy and imprecise (something that would have been nice to know before purchasing), but there seems to be other things that are broken:

• node tool has erratic behavior when selecting a node to drag -- sometimes it drags it, sometimes it grabs the control handles
  • magnifying glass randomly appears and persists (what is this even supposed to do? there's no option or even documentation for it, and it just obstructs lines)
  • magnifying glass appears on the same touch as when touching with one finger to use the modifier
  • awful screen tearing when zoomed in

precision work is impossible. can someone please help me understand the behaviours of the node tool here, and are there fixes for any of these issues? (the lag and impreciseness are also present when manipulating any other nodes outside of the node tool -- resizing a shape, for example.)

ipad pro 10.5 + apple pencil / ios 12.1.1 / designer 1.6.4.45

Hi bew, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

• node tool has erratic behavior when selecting a node to drag -- sometimes it drags it, sometimes it grabs the control handles - We do have an issue with the Node Tool at the moment. The hit area for the nodes is off slightly which is a result of us fixing something that was being raised on the forums.
  • magnifying glass randomly appears and persists (what is this even supposed to do? there's no option or even documentation for it, and it just obstructs lines) - The magnifying glass should appear when you use your finger to accurately let you place the node where you want it. It should not appear with the Apple Pencil and will be removed.
  • magnifying glass appears on the same touch as when touching with one finger to use the modifier - Same reply as above
  • awful screen tearing when zoomed in - The screen tearing is actually our rendering tiles. This is designed to allow certain elements of the canvas to quickly be drawn when you make an adjustment as opposed to waiting for the entire canvas to refresh. The tearing should be much less noticeable at normal zoom levels.

In summary, you've identified a few existing issues and I hope you can understand what we're trying to do with the rendering tiles. 

Thanks for posting. 

19 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hi bew, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

• node tool has erratic behavior when selecting a node to drag -- sometimes it drags it, sometimes it grabs the control handles - We do have an issue with the Node Tool at the moment. The hit area for the nodes is off slightly which is a result of us fixing something that was being raised on the forums.
  • magnifying glass randomly appears and persists (what is this even supposed to do? there's no option or even documentation for it, and it just obstructs lines) - The magnifying glass should appear when you use your finger to accurately let you place the node where you want it. It should not appear with the Apple Pencil and will be removed.
  • magnifying glass appears on the same touch as when touching with one finger to use the modifier - Same reply as above
  • awful screen tearing when zoomed in - The screen tearing is actually our rendering tiles. This is designed to allow certain elements of the canvas to quickly be drawn when you make an adjustment as opposed to waiting for the entire canvas to refresh. The tearing should be much less noticeable at normal zoom levels.

In summary, you've identified a few existing issues and I hope you can understand what we're trying to do with the rendering tiles. 

Thanks for posting. 

thank you so much for the prompt reply.

so if I understand correctly, the node tool & magnifying glass issues are being worked on, and the screen tearing is behaving as intended? a "solution" to the screen tearing could be an option in the navigation studio (or main settings) to set a max zoom percentage -- this would make encountering it less unexpected (and perhaps save some performance overall). similarly, a simple option to disable the magnifying glass would fix both the issue it has popping up with the apple pencil and needlessly popping up when using a finger as a modifier press.

if I can do anything else to help identify/replicate these bugs, just let me know!

On 1/12/2019 at 6:15 AM, bew said:

so if I understand correctly, the node tool & magnifying glass issues are being worked on

Yes. I'll remind dev that this is still being reported.

On 1/12/2019 at 6:15 AM, bew said:

if I can do anything else to help identify/replicate these bugs, just let me know!

Will do—thank you.