You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

snapping is spotty..unclear why

I've been working with a file for 2 hours. I have everything related to snapping turned on, and when it actually happens, it's great. Sometimes it doesn't and I can't see why. I've changed no settings. I'll move an object or group closer and closer to a line - which is a snappable item - and AD lets me breeze right past it.

Is there something I'm missing?

Try turning off some of the snapping options that don't apply to whatever you want to snap the object to. With all of them turned on, it can take a while for the app to sort through them all & decide what it should snap the object to.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 1/11/2019 at 3:54 AM, MEB said:

Hi VectorCat,
Can you record a clip of the issue and post/upload the file you are working with? I can provide a link if you wish to keep the file private.

I'd like that, MEB..private link to upload to..I think it could help the community. I just took the other respondent's advice, tried the move s-l-o-w-l-y and it didn't help...object still didn't snap to certain lines, nor were those lines "called out" by AD as being snappable. Strange..earlier in the day yesterday, it worked beautifully.

I think I will try experimenting with candidates settings. I'm wireframing a website and so my grid is on a layer underneath all else and that relationship needs to be that way.

thank you for the suggestion, Simon

Edit: I changed the candidates to "All layers" - this might work well in this particular document because I shut off all layers/groups except for the page "chrome" and the layer I'm working on. 

Were all layers visible, I could see how AD would have fits trying to calc all the many candidates to show, and I don't think it would be much fun for the artist to try to tweeze the way through the potentially hundreds of candidates being shown, either!