You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Pixel Art] Gaps Between Squares/Pixels Removal

Hi,

I was trying to create pixel art objects then having problem removing gaps between squares.

The thing is, after creating the squares and managed to arrange them (with snapping enabled), I found there are very thin lines between every square.

And when zooming, they still exist.

Which is, very disturbing.

BTW, Every block is in whole pixels.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks!

屏幕快照 2019-01-11 09.48.27.png

屏幕快照 2019-01-11 09.48.31.png

Tree.afdesign

Edited by MorganLiu

Use Blend Options in the Layers Panel (small cog icon top right) and more specifically the Coverage Map - see image below.

Screen-Shot-2019-01-11-at-08-21-11.png

Select all the layers and create the profile seen in the screenshot, actually you can take it right up into the top left corner, I did it that way so you could see the profile lines better.

1014753710_ScreenShot2019-01-11at08_25_20.png.980867fa3c9459b4684c160670ffc77b.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

12 hours ago, MorganLiu said:

The thing is, after creating the squares and managed to arrange them (with snapping enabled), I found there are very thin lines between every square.

And when zooming, they still exist.

Which is, very disturbing.

BTW, Every block is in whole pixels.

What you are seeing is the pixel grid, for want of a better term, I doubt you can see them (the lines) when viewing at 'normal' size.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi MorganLiu,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
If all the squares are aligned will the pixel grid you shouldn't be able to see the gaps at 100% zoom and multiples (200%, 400%,... 6400% etc) nor they will affect the export. You should only see them at arbitrary zoom levels due to the resampling/rendering on screen. They don't affect exported images.

9 hours ago, MEB said:

If all the squares are aligned will the pixel grid you shouldn't be able to see the gaps at 100% zoom and multiples (200%, 400%,... 6400% etc) ...

That is what I expected, but this is what a section of the tree.afdesign file from the first post looks like at 400% zoom:
1977530848_treeat400.jpg.9eecb70eec9b5f6b53fea6cecb6abc4b.jpg

View quality is set to "Bilinear (Best Quality)" on my Mac, using the OpenGL Display setting. Using the Metal Display setting, sometimes I get the same gaps & sometimes I don't. Any idea why?

EDIT: One way to trigger this seems to be to use the Navigation panel buttons to (for example) zoom to 700% with the plus button & then zoom back to 400% using the minus button. Using the buttons to zoom up from a lower zoom level to 400%, no gaps are visible.

EDIT 2: Using the zoom buttons like above only sometimes shows gaps, & they may appear at different multiples of 100% at different times.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

11 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi MorganLiu,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
If all the squares are aligned will the pixel grid you shouldn't be able to see the gaps at 100% zoom and multiples (200%, 400%,... 6400% etc) nor they will affect the export. You should only see them at arbitrary zoom levels due to the resampling/rendering on screen. They don't affect exported images.

Ahh.....

But I used the pt unit....

Any idea how to do from this point?

17 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Use Blend Options in the Layers Panel (small cog icon top right) and more specifically the Coverage Map - see image below.

Screen-Shot-2019-01-11-at-08-21-11.png

Select all the layers and create the profile seen in the screenshot, actually you can take it right up into the top left corner, I did it that way so you could see the profile lines better.

Thank you so much, problem solved!

• Staff

Hi MorganLiu,
I didn't noticed you have attached the file, thanks. As i said these issues should only be a problem at arbitrary zoom levels. Try set the zoom level to 100%, 400% or 1600% for example - does you still see the lines? Regarding the pt unit, no issues here just change the document size to integer values, in this case to 639 x 906 pt (click the padlock icon to unlock it so you can edit both values without Affinity recalculating the height when you change the width). Currently it's set to 639,8 x 905,4 pt. If you can't see the decimal parts/values go to Affinity Preferences, User Interface section and increase the Pixels value (to 3 for example) in Decimal Places for Unit Types section. After adjusting the document size export the file to PNG (or other format you may prefer) and check it. The files/gaps shouldn't appear in the exported file. There's no need to adjust the Coverage Map for this.

4 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi MorganLiu,
I didn't noticed you have attached the file, thanks. As i said these issues should only be a problem at arbitrary zoom levels. Try set the zoom level to 100%, 400% or 1600% for example - does you still see the lines? Regarding the pt unit, no issues here just change the document size to integer values, in this case to 639 x 906 pt (click the padlock icon to unlock it so you can edit both values without Affinity recalculating the height when you change the width). Currently it's set to 639,8 x 905,4 pt. If you can't see the decimal parts/values go to Affinity Preferences, User Interface section and increase the Pixels value (to 3 for example) in Decimal Places for Unit Types section. After adjusting the document size export the file to PNG (or other format you may prefer) and check it. The files/gaps shouldn't appear in the exported file. There's no need to adjust the Coverage Map for this.

Thanks a lot!