You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In the Paragraph Style dialog box used to define a paragraph style, there is a panel titled, "Initial Words". (See illustration below.) There you can program a "nested character style" that you've defined to be applied to the first X number of words (or characters up to a termination character), but at the moment Affinity Publisher does not allow for more than one "nested character style" within a paragraph style.

I'm hoping that the development team will add the ability to program multiple nested character styles within paragraph styles by official launch. There are certain applications where this would be very useful (e.g., product catalogs, where product photos are captioned with a short paragraph of key attributes: a short description, a color availability, a SKU number, a price, etc.). Applying a single paragraph style with multiple nested character styles would make short work of formatting these repetitive items.

Affinity Team, here's my plea for the capability to program multiple nested character styles within a single paragraph style in the "Initial Words" tab of the Paragraphs Style dialog box. Perhaps consider renaming that tab to "Nested Styles".

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 5.16.59 PM.png

• 5 months later...

+1

Nested Styles / GERP Styles that look for certain criteria to format as indicated is something I use on a daily basis, as our workflow has specific requirements on the formatting.  It is not uncommon for a single paragraph style to have 30 nested or GERP styles attached (The upper end I have 64 GERP Styles attached to a single paragraph style in InDesign).  And without this feature, it would take a considerable amount of time to individually fix each character style contained in each paragraph style selection.  Thus, this is a very important feature and one that will keep me from using Affinity Publisher in this production process.

• 8 months later...

I have been a user of Adobe InDesign for several years and use the 'nested character styles' alot. For example: I have one paragraph style where ALL words up to a tab stop are a character style (bold) and the the remaining characters are regular CAPS until a line break. How can I do this in Publisher? 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, NoSi said:

-- deleted -- 

You can hide your post from everyone except the moderators. To do this, click on the ‘Options’ link below the posted message and then choose ‘Hide’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks for this hint – can you give me a clue, how? I couldn't find a function inside edit (or somewhere else) to do so (or delete my entry). Is this maybe bound to a length of menbership/minimum count of entries?

2 hours ago, NoSi said:

Thanks for this hint – can you give me a clue, how? I couldn't find a function inside edit (or somewhere else) to do so (or delete my entry). Is this maybe bound to a length of menbership/minimum count of entries?

It's not part of Edit. Nor, as far as I know, is its use restricted based on your membership characteristics. As @Alfred said, click on Options at the bottom of your post, and choose Hide. If you're not seeing Options, or not seeing Hide, please give us a screenshot of what you do see when looking at one of your posts.

For my posts, I see:

image.png.96a054e63110ede7de66bcc22630a07b.png

and if I click on Options I can Hide my posts.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

43 minutes ago, NoSi said:

I do not have "options" – possibly I have to configure something?

Interesting. No, there's nothing to configure. It's more likely that that feature is restricted to use by members who have been here longer, and I was just unaware of that restriction.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It is a restriction to neebies to protect the forum from spammers. No options, limited posts, one message per day is a result of this.

BUT… – It was a perfect check to proof the support of Affinity. And what I have to say: They lifted my status which made it possible to write this answer (now…).

One big hand to the support you gave me another reason to  my list of reasons to consider buying ( I am really close…).

• 1 year later...