You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Node Tool Curve Selection Accuracy

I searched the forums but couldn't see this issue (or at least how to work around it) so apologies if this is a duplicate.

I have a grid of curves (lines) and need to select one line in particular, but unfortunately the node tool struggles to identify the curve I'm attempting to select (the vertical line):

affinity-node-selection.gif.72a4fa48b72f5ab558c54afe9f296271.gif

Is there a way that the Node tool can explicitly select the curve I'm actually clicking on and not curves in the surrounding space?

My guess is the node tool is selecting the other curves based on their boundary boxes - which being higher in the layer stack take priority. Either way it's super fiddly to deal with when adjusting each curve in the grid by having to move the layer order around every few seconds.

Or am I going the wrong way about this?

Thanks in advance

@Sean P Sure thing! file attached.

The issue isn't that the lines aren't at all selectable, it's that the Node Selection tool presumably isn't designed to select lines (curves) directly. So when you have lines close enough together it seems to prioritise the selection of lines that are higher in the layer order (perhaps this also involves the curve's boundary box).

Try clicking directly on a line in the roof in the attached file and you'll see what I mean. It might be that when you zoom in close enough you can directly select a curve but it's unreasonable to suggest that this is a manageable workflow when numerous adjustments may need to be made, and despite zooming in to select you'd only have to zoom out again to see the context of your change.

@fde101 While you're right that you can select the curve in the layers panel, it's in no way easier. When dealing with lines like this, all part of the same section of artwork (and so alongside each other in the layers panel) this is what you see:

2111505705_Screenshot2019-01-16at19_39_21.png.2ca7ae98a7e379195a1d4ecda18605af.png

^ In this case there are about 80 curves - all indestinguishable from one another in the layers panel. It's like bobbing for apples, essentially.

church-sketch.afdesign

2 minutes ago, simonlayfield said:

While you're right that you can select the curve in the layers panel, it's in no way easier.

If you are going to be doing a lot of selection within those, however, it might be worth taking a few minutes to put them in a sensible order and maybe assign names to them to make them easier to recognize (you can name individual layers to make them easier to find in the list).

@fde101 I do find naming layers, groups and curves useful in certain cases. In this case, though, sorting and naming 80 grid lines isn't what you'd call a sustainable workflow. For example, what would be the best way to name these grid-style lines?

horizontal 1, horizintal 2, horizontal 3...?

I that case if I decide to add more lines in between later then these numbers become semantically incorrect and misleading.

I appreciate that some manual management of layer/curve naming can help in some way with navigating the elements, but it's kind of sidestepping the issue that curves should probably be directly selectable in this instance - if not by default then perhaps a setting that can be toggled.

That's my POV, but I do appreciate your suggestion and agree that it is helpful - just not ideal.

• Staff

Hi simonlayfield,
It's possible the horizontal lines on top are affecting the selection of the lines on bottom - this shouldn't be happening  and i will pass your file to the devs to take a look. Meanwhile pressing and holding ⌥ (option/alt) while you click on a vertical line should pick it immediately for you, which may help a bit. This shortcut cycles between overlapping objects so you can pick/select ones located below others.

You are having trouble creating dotted/dashed lines because most (if not all) of the lines in your drawing have a pressure profile applied (see Stroke popup, Texture Line Style section, the Pressure button on the bottom right). If you reset the pressure you can then turn those lines into dotted/dashed lines. You can't have both dotted/dashed lines and pressure simultaneously. 

pressure_style_2.png.fe9d6da4c63bfbe56d5f58c3b11ad02d.png

59 minutes ago, MEB said:

Meanwhile pressing and holding ⌥ (option/alt) while you click on a vertical line should pick it immediately for you, which may help a bit. This shortcut cycles between overlapping objects so you can pick/select ones located below others.

Yes, that works for Designer 1.6 using either the Node tool (which the OP is using) or the Move tool.

But, as a point of possible interest, in 1.7 beta the Node tool functions seem to have been changed, and that selection method only works for me using the Move tool.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.