You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Performance problem

The Publisher is very slow with PDF document opened. This is related to Designer as well. How can i say it is very slow? Because in Indesign or Illustrator CS6; the document is very responsive.

I have this simple LAYOUT document (more attachement). I want to use it in our documentation that will be 10 pages max. The first thing is very hard or none options rotate entire document/page in non portrait. So i change canvas by Spred propertis to non portrait style. After that i need rotate the all layers as one object. And there starts thing go very slow. I can not rotate without really big lags. Not usable. I think my computer is not so slow. It is i7 3770, 16GB RAM, GTX1070... Also, as i said above - with old Adobe CS6 without any lag.

There is few workarounds. But i have to be hones. I tried Place PDF document to Publisher, but this is not solution because I need polish and edit PDF document later without opening another software. Only options for Placed PDF document is rasterize Layer. Why? PDF is vector based... Why we lost editability?

So, maybe i am doing something wrong, but according to me, there should be investigation on performance or at least usability PDF documents (in Designer aswell)

Limpacher_ZAMERANIE_2np.pdf

• Staff

Hi XU3E,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I'm sorry you're are having trouble with the app. If you need to keep the PDF editable (as vectors) do the following which may help:

• go to menu File ▸ Open... to open the PDF
  • with the Move Tool selected click the Spread Setup... button in the context toolbar and untick the Portrait box to switch the document to landscape
  • go to menu Select ▸ Select All to select all objects (there may be a little delay, there's quite a few objects there)
  • go to menu Layer ▸ Transform ▸ Rotate Left to rotate the objects accordingly

You should now have it in landscape mode as you wanted with the objects editable.

Thank you for fast response.

I have just one feature idea for future releases. As you can see, in this PDF document there is lot of layers due uneffective exporting tool. This is very normal behaviour for many softwares. So, how we can effectively clean up/purge such document? Unfortunetly in Designer nor Publisher there is not any smart way. Only manual chosing layer or "objects". In many other applications such Illustrator or even Open Source Inkscape you can chose "all objects" with same parameter as color, stroke style, etc. Select by same parameter should not be very hard to implement, should be?

It would be nice have this in Affinity workspace (Designer and Publisher). On more advanced documents we need smart tools like this. Even decades old softwares had those functions. Do not take me wrong, but for example also in Designer there is no any way how to vectorize a raster image. We need use external applications. That leads customers consider the idea: Why i would work in designer, if i have to use similiar software that have this and many others functionality? Just my idea. I like Affinity products. Juts trying help find few features that we need in our professional workflow ;-) 

• Staff

Hi XU3E,
Both features - select objects by their attributes and a tracing tool - were already highly requested on these forums and both are planned for upcoming versions (the tracing tool is dependent on the quality of the output we will be able to get - if not good enough it may not be implemented), however all Affinity apps are relatively new and every feature is being written from scratch. It wasn't possible to add/implement everything from the beginning - even a few basic things - otherwise we would never be able to release them. We also are a little limited regarding dev/time resources (Serif is currently hiring more devs) thus some features may take more time than we would like.Hopefully things will get better as we move forward. Bear with us. Thanks for your support/feedback.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.