You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Find Overflow Text

I opened a Designer file in Publisher. It is about 34 pages long. When I go to print or export it tells me there is text that has overflowed and is not visible. I have gone through each text block but cannot seem to find any hidden text. Is there a way to search or find the hidden text? Could this be a glitch because it was converted from Designer?

Macbook Pro 13 (Mid 2010) - Web Designer

3 hours ago, Husbandman said:

I opened a Designer file in Publisher. It is about 34 pages long. When I go to print or export it tells me there is text that has overflowed and is not visible. I have gone through each text block but cannot seem to find any hidden text. Is there a way to search or find the hidden text? Could this be a glitch because it was converted from Designer?

From the menus, enable View > Show Text Flow which will display a box around each text frame, and show their linking. If any frame that is not currently selected has overflowing text the two link characters will be red dots. You can just page through your file looking for the red dots in the boxes around the text frames.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 8 months later...
13 minutes ago, farbenfeuer said:

Been having the same problem. Merely 14 pages - checked every textframe individually about 4 or 5 times now and cant find it. Any idea?

Do you have View > Show Text Flow enabled? Have you tried zooming out so multiple pages are visible, which emphasizes the red dots that show overflow?

Have you looked on the Master Page(s)?

Have you checked for Text Frames that are not located on a document or Master Page, but are on the pasteboard instead?

If you have checked all that, and still not found it, can you share your .afpub document?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Do you have View > Show Text Flow enabled? 

yea

Have you tried zooming out so multiple pages are visible, which emphasizes the red dots that show overflow?

yep - nothing.

I dont notice anything in particular?

21 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Have you checked for Text Frames that are not located on a document or Master Page, but are on the pasteboard instead?

What do you mean by pasteboard?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB, ROG PG348Q

Do you have View > Show Text Flow enabled? 

yea

Have you tried zooming out so multiple pages are visible, which emphasizes the red dots that show overflow?

yep - nothing.

I dont notice anything in particular?

21 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Oh and btw: i also noticed that when i double click text edge to make the frame snap back to its actual size, the text frame is then marked with the said text overflow indicators. So thats kinda curious too.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB, ROG PG348Q

1 hour ago, farbenfeuer said:

Oh and btw: i also noticed that when i double click text edge to make the frame snap back to its actual size, the text frame is then marked with the said text overflow indicators. So thats kinda curious too.

The pasteboard is the workspace area outside the document or master page.

Yes, that snapping and subsequent overflow is curious. I recall seeing that early in the Publisher public beta, but I haven't noticed it since then.

Can you share your .afpub document so we can look at it and help with your problem?

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 month later...

View > Show Text Flow enable is one thing

But the real problem is, you have still to go search manually through all the pages. Not very userfriendly when you just had to finish a 300 page work to a deadline, you finally get to export the whole thing within the last minutes and – DANG – a warning message pops up "overflow text", with no option whatsoever to point you to said text.

In Indesign you would be able to solve that within seconds.

17 minutes ago, Thomahawk said:

But the real problem is, you have still to go search manually through all the pages. Not very userfriendly when you just had to finish a 300 page work to a deadline, you finally get to export the whole thing within the last minutes and – DANG – a warning message pops up "overflow text", with no option whatsoever to point you to said text.

In Indesign you would be able to solve that within seconds.

Yes, it should be improved. But it can usually be found in seconds with Publisher, too, by enabling Show Text Flow and zooming way out so all the pages are visible on the screen. And beta 1.8.0.499 fixes a major situation where that approach wouldn't work (overflowing text frames on the pasteboard, or that are "hidden" via the Layers panel). Maybe we'll see further improvements in this area.

-- Walt
PC:

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

And beta 1.8.0.499 fixes a major situation where that approach wouldn't work (overflowing text frames on the pasteboard, or that are "hidden" via the Layers panel)

That is welcome, but there are still others, such as one that puzzled my puzzler a while back: overflowing text on a master page. I had inserted a section name field on the master, and although the placeholder <section name> was too long to fit in the text box on the master page, the actual name of the section was short enough that there was no text overflow on any of the actual pages. But I got an overflow warning on print nonetheless.

2 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

That is welcome, but there are still others, such as one that puzzled my puzzler a while back: overflowing text on a master page. I had inserted a section name field on the master, and although the placeholder <section name> was too long to fit in the text box on the master page, the actual name of the section was short enough that there was no text overflow on any of the actual pages. But I got an overflow warning on print nonetheless.

If that is still a problem in 1.800.499 I think you should post a bug topic about it. It has not been formally reported that I can see, and though you mentioned it in another user's bug topic (here) back in July no one from the Serif team ever acknowledged that topic as far as I can see.

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, garrettm30 said:

How you remembered that is beyond me (I do repost things I forgot I already posted), but you are an amazing help to this community.

Thanks.

I didn't remember. When you mentioned it above I did a search using the forum search bar for

"section name" overflow

to find it.

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 weeks later...

Same challenge here... can't find the supposedly overflow text... 49 pages here... ok this is not a helpful comment for support I realise that...

hm.. there's a little rectangle on one page in the right upper corner, I can't highlight or delete it... maybe that's what's causing the trouble?

Screenshot 2019-11-16 at 12.28.08.png

6 hours ago, appuser99 said:

Same challenge here... can't find the supposedly overflow text... 49 pages here... ok this is not a helpful comment for support I realise that...

hm.. there's a little rectangle on one page in the right upper corner, I can't highlight or delete it... maybe that's what's causing the trouble?

Maybe. If you can't select it it may be coming from a Master Page.

Diagnostic tool for this situation, in general: First, VIew > Show Text Flow. Then View > Zoom > Zoom to Document. Look for red dots. If you don't see any, examine each Master Page for red dots.

-- Walt
PC:

Or - as I have experienced on (too) many occasions: An item (usually a picture or a text box) is wrongly and discreetly sent to the master page without being visible or editable via the master page. It is only visible below a master page in the Pages panel.

The only solution (until the bug is fixed!) is to right-click (on the Pages panel) on the Master page and chosing "Edit detached".

The bug is still present in the latest Beta (...499), at least with documents originating in the retail version.

Lenovo laptop with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. Former user of most Serif software from PagePlus 3.0 through PagePlus X9, now enjoying Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher.

On 11/16/2019 at 7:31 AM, NilsFinken said:

Or - as I have experienced on (too) many occasions: An item (usually a picture or a text box) is wrongly and discreetly sent to the master page without being visible or editable via the master page. It is only visible below a master page in the Pages panel.

This can happen sometimes if the object is pinned to a text frame which is on the master page.  In this case, the box will be moved under the master page on the Layers panel but is not actually on the "real" master page - just organized a bit oddly to show that it is considered to be related to the text frame.  Unpinning the frame does not always move it back out from being under the master page layer in a sensible manner.

Not sure if that is what you are experiencing or not, but it is one way to produce that situation.  Personally, I think that needs to be fixed - if I unpin an object that is pinned to a master page text frame while I am not editing a master page, the object should be moved back out from the master page layer.

Thanks for the explanation, fde101, you really nailed it! That also gave the here-and-now solution which is to reinstall a pin to the errant picture.

A big thanks!

Nils

Lenovo laptop with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. Former user of most Serif software from PagePlus 3.0 through PagePlus X9, now enjoying Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher.

• 2 months later...

It would be very helpful to be able to set specific elements to not create text overflow warnings. For example, the other day I was making a flow diagram and the standard style I set up had a lot of padding around the text.

Some of the boxes I wanted to make more compact which I did by reducing the frame. All the text was still visible but because the padding extended beyond the frames it flags as an overflow.

With no ability to quickly zoom to offending frames, there is no way of being 100% comfortable exporting when it comes up with a generic warning about overflowing text. Being able to set these frames to not create overflow warnings would solve this. I'm thinking a simple check box in the text frame settings.

On 9/12/2019 at 8:33 AM, walt.farrell said:

The pasteboard is the workspace area outside the document or master page.

"Pasteboard" is the name that NextStep used for what the Mac and Windoze systems refer to as the "clipboard" - to the point that in the macOS API, which is really an updated version of the NextStep APIs, the name of the class supporing "clipboard" functionality is NSPasteboard.   (Trivia: in the Plan 9 operating system, this same concept is referred to as the "snarf buffer"...)

As a result, this usage of the term "pasteboard" may be confusing to some.

1 minute ago, fde101 said:

As a result, this usage of the term "pasteboard" may be confusing to some.

Possibly. But as far as I have found, that seems to be the Affinity terminology that is used.

-- Walt
PC:

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

as I have found, that seems to be the Affinity terminology that is used.

Seems that way... though when I try searching the affinity.help site for "pasteboard" I come up with one document for Publisher, which explains that "clip to canvas" being disabled makes the pasteboard available for use, but never explains what the pasteboard actually is.

Designer also has one hit which is fairly similar: https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/pages/DesignAids/clipToCanvas.html

No hits for Photo, which is kind of what I expected.

If Serif wants to use the term this way they should probably define it more carefully in the documentation, as it is a somewhat specialized term which is not something I would expect to be universally recognized, and it conflicts with more thoroughly documented developer terminology on the macOS platform: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/appkit/nspasteboard?language=objc

Pasteboard is more a Serif term than an Affinity one.

The term Pasteboard was used extensively in their previous range of products.

Anyone that "upgraded" from those previous products would already be familiar with the term

The Help Files were also a lot more informative and useful then

pasteboard.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 5 months later...

I imported an IDML file to Affinity publisher, so when I try overflowing my text it all of a sudden becomes very small like it is not linking to my previous text frame. And if I overflow text from a middle text frame, my new text frame with the rest of the text frame that comes after it automatically becomes very small in to one frame.  Do you have any solution to this?