You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What is the "Hide" button for in the "Reply to this topic" section?

• Staff

I have only recently enabled this for the (90000) "members" of this forum. Until then it was moderator only.

Since turning it on I have seen it used for a number of reasons, including:

• Hiding a duplicate accidental post in the same thread.
  • Hiding a post made in the wrong forum by accident.
    and my favourite
  • Someone came back a shortly after posting a minor complaint and then hid it with the comment "I was just ranting about nothing" and thereby avoiding others challenging him/her on the words used in anger. :) 

If I see "hide" being abused (anyone hiding all ones own replies in a contentious thread thus making it incoherent) I will remove it from those users.

Hopefully it will reduce the need for moderators to hide posts (we are occasionally PM'd to do so for the reasons given above).

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

15 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Since turning it on I have seen it used for a number of reasons, including:

• Hiding a duplicate accidental post in the same thread...

But if something is worth writing once, it should be even better written twice...

Is there an indication that one's post is hidden? I mean, if a Mod has hidden one of my posts, for instance, I can presumably still see it, right?

• Staff
1 minute ago, MikeW said:

Is there an indication that one's post is hidden? I mean, if a Mod has hidden one of my posts, for instance, I can presumably still see it, right?

Don't think anyone but moderators can see hidden posts but I don't know I expect you can see your own posts if YOU hide it but not sure when a mod hides it, you probably cannot see a post I have hidden, but not sure. Please make a post and I will hide it and you can see and report back please.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
4 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Please hide me...

done

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Nope. Cannot see it and doesn't show up in any activity stream. I dunno if that is good or bad...I think I would rather receive "demerits" (Warnings). At least then I know I've been naughty rather than thinking I'm getting senile and forgetting whether I posted or not...

• Staff

We never hide posts without a reason, so would tell the user by PM (if they had not already requested it themselves). What about when you hide your own post, can you see it then? (and unhide it again?)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

The answer is yes...

capture-002433.png.d1ae35cf1e93e73609c74befc2c9e33f.png

And there is a new Options under posts. I can go to a previous post and using the Options link hide the post.

However, no popup happens on the post I just hid. It does not offer to unhide it like I thought it would.

Also, once I used the Hide option, it is enabled for any subsequent posts. In other words, that Hide slider is a sticky option. Probably not a good thing.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a nice feature but I think my last reply to one topic got accidentally hidden by me when posting and then disappeared ... I cannot find it anymore ... is there a possibility to list all my posts and replies including hidden ones? I couldn't find it in my profile.

PS: If you like maps you might also have a look at this community!
PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

• Staff

Not sure what happened there, sorry. The moderation history on that thread implies it was always hidden??

I've unhidden it now so your post 25 mins ago may need tweaking. Hopefully it's just a glitch as the hide button should stay visible to the person who posted it (if that person also hid it) 

Please let me know if I happens again 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

4 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Not sure what happened there, sorry. The moderation history on that thread implies it was always hidden??

I've unhidden it now so your post 25 mins ago may need tweaking. Hopefully it's just a glitch as the hide button should stay visible to the person who posted it (if that person also hid it) 

Thanks a lot! 

Due to the second post with the same meaning I have just hidden the first one again =)

And what happened? It's disappeared again ... Maybe the post or its content is haunted :35_thinking:

PS: That's just for your infomation - It may stay hidden.

PS: If you like maps you might also have a look at this community!
PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

• 1 year later...
On 1/24/2019 at 11:29 PM, Patrick Connor said:

Help! I accidentally hid a response post that I was writing, and I can't seem to retrieve it anywhere. I would hate to think I'd have to write it again...

• Staff
1 hour ago, Medical Officer Bones said:

Help! I accidentally hid a response post that I was writing, and I can't seem to retrieve it anywhere. I would hate to think I'd have to write it again...

Sorted

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd