RGreen

Destructive versus non-destructive approach

As a novice user: with all the appraisals for how AP handles a lot of features and functions non-destructively I'm beginning to wonder: if I had the choice, when would I better go with the destructive approach? Or is it a matter of manageability? Or any other aspects?

Appreciate your feedback!

Russell

I tend to use the destructive approach for anything where I can easily and quickly start again from scratch. I use the history stack to start over. This would generally be the case for most of my photos. 

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7, (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

18 hours ago, John Rostron said:

I tend to use the destructive approach for anything where I can easily and quickly start again from scratch. I use the history stack to start over. This would generally be the case for most of my photos. 

John

Ok, so that makes sense. So it’s the manageability that’s the factor, and not the functionality…

2 hours ago, RGreen said:

So it’s the manageability that’s the factor, and not the functionality…

Yes. I prefer to use non-destructive approach when I build larger compositions which take much time. AP suits well here. When I do quick fixes I do them destructively and often use some other application than AP.