You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Delete or modify default adjustments in Adjustments Panel

Hi All,

In Affinity Photo, there are default adjustments for most of the items in the Adjustment panel.

These defaults are applied, well, by default.

A right-click on these defaults displays a context menu, but both choices, "Rename..." and "Delete" are inactive (at least in my Windows 10 system).

I've tried starting Affinity with administrator privileges, but the context menu choices remain inactive.

I also see no way to assign a new, added preset as default.

Is there indeed no way to delete or modify the default adjustments, or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

KE

• Staff

Hi Kerwin, 

Welcome to the forums :)

It isn't possible to delete adjustment presets or assign new default presets I'm afraid however clicking the adjustment name and not a preset should open the adjustment window without applying a preset.

Thanks

Calum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

3 hours ago, Callum said:

however clicking the adjustment name and not a preset should open the adjustment window without applying a preset.

Where exactly do we click on the name so the window opens without applying a preset? 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi Kerwin,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Only the Default preset can't be renamed or deleted. For adjustments with more than one preset you can rename or delete the others (other than the default).
Clicking on the name of an adjustment in the Adjustments panel applies the default preset.

To save custom presets click the Add Preset button on top left of each adjustment dialog to add them to the Adjustments panel.

• Staff
2 hours ago, R C-R said:

Where exactly do we click on the name so the window opens without applying a preset? 

The first time you click the name of an adjustment it opens without applying a preset or as MEB mentioned applying the Default preset which doesn't change any of the values. If the tab is already open you will need to click the "default" preset to open the adjustment without any preset settings applied.

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

10 minutes ago, Callum said:

The first time you click the name of an adjustment it opens without applying a preset or as MEB mentioned applying the Default preset which doesn't change any of the values. If the tab is already open you will need to click the "default" preset to open the adjustment without any preset settings applied.

When in the Adjustment panel I click on the name (or the icon, it doesn't matter), it always applies the Default preset. The same thing happens whether or not the preset category 'tab' is open or not. IOW, a default preset is always applied to the document; the only thing that I can change is where the adjustment layer is added, & that just depends on if a layer is currently selected or not.

Also, some of the presets, like for Recolor, Black & White, Threshold, Invert, or Posterize, have default values that not only immediately add an adjustment layer, their built-in defaults radically change the document's appearance.

Thus, I can find no way to use the Adjustment panel that does not automatically apply a preset. What am I missing?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

35 minutes ago, Callum said:

The first time you click the name of an adjustment it opens without applying a preset or as MEB mentioned applying the Default preset which doesn't change any of the values. If the tab is already open you will need to click the "default" preset to open the adjustment without any preset settings applied.

LOL what should that proove? Switch and look into your layers panel afterwards instead, in order to see if an adjustment is applied or not! - IMO @R C-R is right, a default preset is always applied to the document as far as you click on a switch list panel entry, no matter how you click on this.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

32 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Thus, I can find no way to use the Adjustment panel that does not automatically apply a preset. What am I missing?

I agree with R C-R on this: indeed if you choose an adjustment in the Adjustment panel, and if there's a default, it's applied.

But I wonder if the Windows version of AP might behave differently than the Mac version??

In any case, I'll post this as a request, because users should be able to set their own defaults.

EDIT: see "Default adjustments in the Adjustment panel should be user-definable"

I think...

The default action (preset) for some Adjustments is zero, i.e. do nothing  (e.g. An Exposure adjustment)

For other Adjustments the default action (preset) does alter the image and for those adjustments there is no way to stop the default action being applied (e.g. A Recolor adjustment)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

I think...

The default action (preset) for some Adjustments is zero, i.e. do nothing  (e.g. An Exposure adjustment)

But it still adds an adjustment layer to the document as soon as any adjustment category is opened or selected in the Adjustment Studio panel (even if the document is a new one with no layers), so in no case is it doing nothing.

Affinity Photo 

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

so in no case is it doing nothing.

It is doing nothing in respect to automatically changing anything on the image

It adds an adjustment layer in anticipation that you will then use that layer to make an adjustment to the image 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

3 hours ago, carl123 said:

It is doing nothing in respect to automatically changing anything on the image

It adds an adjustment layer in anticipation that you will then use that layer to make an adjustment to the image 

The only thing all the adjustments have in common is they create a new adjustment layer. Some apply default settings that do not change anything, some do. All but one opens a window where you can change the settings & add new presets, but the Invert adjustment doesn't even do that.

Affinity Photo