Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi, I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to make color picker in White Balance Adjustement working in the way I want. I scan lots of negatives and white balance is really important and not easy to achieve. not only in the blue/yellow axis but also on the magenta/green axis. the color picker could be a great help for that, in particular the possibility to add average multiple whitepoints. I do scan with Silverfast and this software has a tool that works just like that: you sample up to 4 points and you get average white balance on all the color axis. but sometimes I need to do this task after the scan has been made.

But from what I see, the Affinity Photo color picker works just for blue/yellow but not for magenta/green. that is a big limitation. In apple photos there is a similar function and it works also for magenta/green. but you can choose only one point and that is usually not enough.

a workaround could be to use the info pane and LAB values and do it manually, but there is another problem: the Info Pane Sampler gives values for just one pixel, you can't average 3X3 or larger areas, making useless for this purpose.

any solutions?

thanks

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote
  • Picker—allows you to sample the image to set the white point on which the white balance will be calculated. You can sample using one of the following methods:
    • Click to sample a pixel under the cursor.
    • Drag the cursor across the image to sample all pixels under the cursor. The averaged colour from those pixels is used.
    • Press the Alt key and drag to sample under a rectangular marquee, again using the averaged colour of those pixels.

In Develop Persona, a dedicated White Point Tool is used instead of the Picker. It offers the same sampling functionality as the Picker.


☛ Affinity Designer 1.7.1 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.7.1 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Help topic is incomplete

You can also hold the Shift Key to

"add average multiple whitepoints"

When using the picker

(Photo Persona)


Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Thanks I've seen that. but it works only with the "white balance" slider (blu to yellow), not with the "tint" slider (magenta to green).
with film scans it is quite common to have problems also in this area.

Being the picker under both the slider one would assume that it will set both, but this is not the case

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may want to note and indicate this via a reproducable example in the bug request section of the forum, so it might be reviewed and then hopefully get fixed.


☛ Affinity Designer 1.7.1 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.7.1 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

You may want to note and indicate this via a reproducable example in the bug request section of the forum, so it might be reviewed and then hopefully get fixed.

I don't know if it is a bug or an intended behavior... but I will post it, thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, eriksatie said:

... but it works only with the "white balance" slider (blu to yellow)...

FWIW, white balance sets the color temperature of an image. Changing it makes the image appear cooler or warmer, not bluer or yellower.

Color temperature is really only applicable to images illuminated by light that closely approximates black body radiation -- basically, the light emitted by (not reflected from) objects when heated to some sufficiently high temperature. This is what we are talking about when we say something has been heated enough to glow "red hot" or "white hot." In this context "red" is cooler than "white."

Adjusting the tint does not change the color temperature of an image. The tint adjustment is useful for removing color casts, particularly those caused by light sources that do not approximate black body radiation, like fluorescent lights.


Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

FWIW, white balance sets the color temperature of an image. Changing it makes the image appear cooler or warmer, not bluer or yellower.

Color temperature is really only applicable to images illuminated by light that closely approximates black body radiation -- basically, the light emitted by (not reflected from) objects when heated to some sufficiently high temperature. This is what we are talking about when we say something has been heated enough to glow "red hot" or "white hot." In this context "red" is cooler than "white."

Adjusting the tint does not change the color temperature of an image. The tint adjustment is useful for removing color casts, particularly those caused by light sources that do not approximate black body radiation, like fluorescent lights.

Ok so maybe I'm using the wrong tool (but I think it is the right one, just not working as expected)

My intent is to get rid of color casts of scanned films. Usually this is done by using some kind of tool that has two slider: one for blu/yellow axis and one for green/magenta axis. Some more advanced tool also have a picker that helps you doing this automatically. You pick what you think it should be a neutral grey area and the two slider get adjusted. Apple photo has such tool and it works quite good. Some even more advanced tool allows you to choose more than one points and the tool average them to have a better global color cast correction. Silverfast have this kind of tool and it works great but you can only use during scans and not after.

Is there a more appropriate tool in Affinity to do this job?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi eriksatie,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
You are using the correct tool but currently the picker only adjusts the white Balance slider not the Tint as you noticed.This is already logged for the dev team to take a look/comment but there wasn't developments here yet. I've bumped the report and added a link to this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MEB said:

Hi eriksatie,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
You are using the correct tool but currently the picker only adjusts the white Balance slider not the Tint as you noticed.This is already logged for the dev team to take a look/comment but there wasn't developments here yet. I've bumped the report and added a link to this thread.

Thanks MEB for the feedback. Hope it will be implemented. It would be great for correcting color cast of film scans, thanks to the ability to add more points or a rectangle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@eriksatie

Do you have a sample of the sort of images you are correcting

One image before any corrections and one after you have corrected it using the white balance tool

Or better still an AFPhoto document with the image and the White Balance Adjustment you have adjusted

There are sometimes different ways to achieve the desired results in Affinity


Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×