You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photoshop users moving to Affinity!

Today was the first time I have seen several posts on Adobe Family stating that they were leaving Adobe in favor of Affinity if Affinity can do what they need. 

At this point in the development of Affinity Photo, it is going to be difficult to make that transition.

As one person pointed out, Adobe is still the luxury liner and Affinity is just a tug boat. Personally, I see Adobe as the train engine and Affinity the caboose. 

If you look at the total number of Photoshop users and how many are NOT full-time professionals, you might surmise that neither Adobe nor Affinity have their primary focus on the pro.

It's a funny concept because it was the pro that made Adobe successful. 

This Photoshop vs APhoto discussion in this board is old and repetive. Let's not start that again as all has been said in other topics.

More interesting to me would be a proof that on the other side this discussion also happens. But there was no link provided and I did not find that.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

Hello Steps,

I posted my notes about current Photoshop Users moving to Affinity because I thought it was interesting. I didn't do it so a person like you could write back as you have done. Your notes demonstrate the limited value of boards like this. 

I am not interested in trying to help any further. I am removing this board from my computer. I don't have time to read and respond to nonsense like this.  

3 hours ago, Dennis Nisbet said:

Hello Steps,

I posted my notes about current Photoshop Users moving to Affinity because I thought it was interesting. I didn't do it so a person like you could write back as you have done. Your notes demonstrate the limited value of boards like this. 

I am not interested in trying to help any further. I am removing this board from my computer. I don't have time to read and respond to nonsense like this.  

Hi Dennis,

You wrote "Today was the first time I have seen several posts on Adobe Family stating that they were leaving Adobe in favor of Affinity if Affinity can do what they need." and I just wanted to read about that discussion on Adobe forums. I was interested in their statements. As I did not find that I asked for a link.

What is the limited value? I don't see what you mean.

On 1/9/2019 at 10:42 PM, Dennis Nisbet said:

As one person pointed out, Adobe is still the luxury liner and Affinity is just a tug boat. Personally, I see Adobe as the train engine and Affinity the caboose.  

I consider comparisons like this to be pure bullshit. Affinity is a "tog boat" or a "caboose"? This is of limited value.

What is the purpose of your post anyway? Do you want to start the 1001st Affinity Photo vs Photoshop thread?

We already know they are different.

The only interesting feedback in that regard is which features from Photoshop are really missing in APhoto and why. (I also have some on my list)

---

By searching I only find very short postings started by you complaining about Adobe.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/affinity-desktop-photoshop-look-a-like-software

And you seem not to be to happy with Affinity either. Maybe it's just hard to please you.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

On 1/12/2019 at 12:28 PM, PixelSnader said:

I'm going to point out that this section of the forum is for Affinity Designer, which would compete with Adobe Illustrator. Discussion about Affinity Photo and Adobe Photoshop shouldn't be here.

But not everything is so categorical.  I replaced Photoshop and Illustrator with Affinity Designer for UI design))

1 minute ago, PixelSnader said:

That's dandy, but  the OP is talking about migration from Photoshop to Affinity Photo. No mention of Designer.

Yes, you are right. He seems to be a bit confused anyway. On the Adobe forum he wrote a rant and categorized it as "praise".

Leave categories behind. :)

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/13/2019 at 9:42 PM, PixelSnader said:

That's dandy, but  the OP is talking about migration from Photoshop to Affinity Photo. No mention of Designer.

I understand. I just wanted to say that a lot of people can easily replace Photoshop with Designer. For example, only in the company where I work, if I get permission, 38 people will say goodbye to Adobe. And I really want this, I hate subscription model & Creative Cloud  :)

Several things come to mind for me... First and foremost, based on the title of the post, I was looking for a thread with advice, observations, etc., about switching from Photoshop to APhoto. I spent 25 years working in high tech and enterprise software development.  I spent a long time working on my Adobe certification and have been a user since the first Windows version in 1987, along with Aldus Photostyler and Micrographix Picture Publisher - all of which wound up being acquired by Adobe and rolled into what we call Photoshop today. I like Photoshop, but also feel it has become cumbersome and ultimately expensive, particularly when compared to APhoto which, aside from UI differences, does a good job and at $50.

Similarly, I was never an adopter of Adobe Illustrator and have always favored CorelDRAW for a variety of reasons. I now own ADesigner and was able to turn out a show poster using it, out of the box with almost no pressing F1, in about 3 hours.

So, while I have no interest in an Adobe vs. Affinity debate, I will say I've been impressed with Affinity's commitment to delivery functional code. It would be extremely helpful, if it's not already done, to have a literal "I'm switching from Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator to Affinity Photo/Designer" document, blog, thread, etc.

On 1/9/2019 at 3:42 PM, Dennis Nisbet said:

you might surmise that neither Adobe nor Affinity have their primary focus on the pro.

What is lacking in the Adobe strategy to make tou feel that they don’t focus in the high-end most demanding photography professionals?

Best regards!

1 minute ago, Dennis Nisbet said:

@Mithferion The answer to your question is pretty straight forward. Adobe has an estimated 14,000,000 Photoshop users and less than 20% of them are professionals.

Yes, but that number is all users over all time. It's a bogus number if one limits the scope to CC. But even adding in CS, the number is based upon all extant serial numbers. I know I moved on but I'll bet that high number includes me.

Be that as it may, what you write about pro versus consumer is true for most all software. There are few software titles that run on Mac/Windows that are truly used by pros alone/mostly.

16 minutes ago, Dennis Nisbet said:

@Mithferion The answer to your question is pretty straight forward. Adobe has an estimated 14,000,000 Photoshop users and less than 20% of them are professionals.

So, if Adobe made it possible to get access to Photoshop, without changing the technical strategy and features development, only to said 20%, then its focus would be only on professionals?

Best regards!

Well such statistics are always to be viewed with a grain of salt (as the Evolution of PS here probably too). Further one would have to distinguish between PS and PSE versions for the overall used user licenses count and probably also in terms of what pros vs casual home users do finally use then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

13 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Yes, but that number is all users over all time. It's a bogus number if one limits the scope to CC. But even adding in CS, the number is based upon all extant serial numbers. I know I moved on but I'll bet that high number includes me.

Be that as it may, what you write about pro versus consumer is true for most all software. There are few software titles that run on Mac/Windows that are truly used by pros alone/mostly.

14 million of users againts 1.4 million users of Affinity... doesn’t sound that great of a difference, at least to me. Just 10 to 1.

Best regards!

Having spent 5 years involved in the marketing and development of a third-party product for PS, I had the opportunity to talk personally with hundreds of PS users. Only a few of them were professionals that were relying on PS to assist them in production. The vast majority were users at many levels of expertise.

In the early days, PS was a driving force for the professional. As such, Adobe spent a lot of time paying attention to and implementing their suggestions.

Atso, at that time, communications via phone and written, were at an all-time high.

I do not see that in today's market. 

On 2/13/2019 at 6:19 PM, Dennis Nisbet said:

I do not see that in today's market. 

Nowadays every third party tries to get a peace of the cake, meaning trying to make some money out of such software related things, be it (e)books, actions, plug-ins, video tutorials, add-on brushes, stockimages ... etc. - Times have changed over years, institutions, services and people try to make a revenue out of software over the Web and thus sell their knowledge and related interests today!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

@v_kyr Yes, the third-party folks are alive and well. What's missing is the level of service and interest that companies like Adobe used to do as a regular part of their business.

I want to move away from Adobe. There are things that I do that are not unusual but Affinity Photo does not have a lot of processes implemented. I think that they missed a few steps.

I also have a low confidence level in their methods of communication. Adobe still has a one-on-one service available and at no charge in many cases.

None of this is a deterrent to me except for my issues with the Macro and my Shadow creation process.

If all of these posts are being reviewed and noted for present and future consideration by Serif, great!  There are a lot of great ideas floating out there.

Yup, I believe they quite much scan a lot of stuff, petitions and feedback. So, maybe a thing to consider is , even if there are no staff replies, most surely it (your particular issue/s) is heard, and considered / studied in the sense of what can be done there in relation (if it is possible/easy to do and integrate) with their current development and code. Eventually sometimes implement a solution, after x months, or etc. Actually have seen that happening a lot. (it's kind of a pattern, I saw this happening in Blender communities and development) No idea about if the posts had any influence, though (surely YEP), and/or just observing the pro market needs and their own usage leads them to this. Or a mixed situation. But several of the lacks I saw (whether I posted about them or not) in the A. Photo and Designer first betas, have been corrected, improved, added features... Some are absolutely genius and are not so easy to discover....

PD: I happily see pro focus in both Adobe and Serif, currently... Might just be me (but am a pro!  :D ) . I love both suites, btw (just not the "purchase" options in one of  them). Heck, I also love Corel...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 1 year later...

Yesterday was a watershed. I've used and taught Photoshop for 30yrs. I've used (professionally) Affinity Designer + Photo and now Publisher for 6yrs. Platforms iOS, and iPad. The Cloud obsession by Adobe is their death nell. Now not even their older versions are transferable due to not deregistering an app that no longer opens in iOS14. and 1 machine only. Family sharing with Affinity is a huge strength.
Affinity is the future as it puts its customers first. It's features are modern and not littered with outdated Effect Filters that you couldn't use without being laughed at (as PS are). 

No, AP isn't perfect yet (Image resizing...please. please sort it out when layers include .psd's) Corel's PSP had amazing algorithms...better than PS. Given that AP is Corel (as I understand it) get it sorted. AP, AD, APub. are professional packages and will move forward as  major app.'s.  Today I buy the WIN10 version (wish Affinity would give multi-platform discounts)  the end of the road for PS with me...and my students. Adobe's arrogance as being the best is folly as was Sony's BETAMAX. PS will go the way of Flash, Coldfusion, Dreamweaver, Premier (fading into history) and countless other failed Adobe products.
Affinity have got it right...and will work tomorrow and into the future...unlike Adobe.