You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My thoughts about file creation and cloud storage

At the moment, the way file management works if you are using any other storage than On my iPad or iCloud is a little complicated.  There have been several threads about this I have read.

So, this is just my suggestion about how it could work.

It involves the addition of a "Save to" command both within the edit interface and within projects.

So, for instance, you create a new document within a project and it opens up in the editor as normal.  Everything is the same.

However, you now have Save To on the menu. Rather than save a copy, this will effectively move the file. So, I could choose to press Save To and then select somewhere on my OneDrive or pCloud.

Two things happen. To start with, the file is saved to that location as an affinity photo file, and secondly, the project record is updated to now be as if you had imported from the cloud.

Now, each time you save from the project, it saves to this new location.

Likewise, you can achieve the same from the project. You can click on the hamburger and click on "save to." This will allow you to choose any legitimate location and it will move the file and update the project entry for the file to reflect the change of location and how the file is updated.

This reduces the complication of working with cloud locations considerably and allows moving files around while not changing the entries in a project or having to move them in the Files app and then re-import them or using Save a Copy and having to re-import them.

Anyway, just a thought. :) 

On a fun little learning curve with Affinity. Or a vector curve. One of the two. Just a writer learning to draw.

On 1/9/2019 at 10:42 PM, CC Hogan said:

At the moment, the way file management works if you are using any other storage than On my iPad or iCloud is a little complicated.  There have been several threads about this I have read.

So, this is just my suggestion about how it could work.

It involves the addition of a "Save to" command both within the edit interface and within projects.

So, for instance, you create a new document within a project and it opens up in the editor as normal.  Everything is the same.

However, you now have Save To on the menu. Rather than save a copy, this will effectively move the file. So, I could choose to press Save To and then select somewhere on my OneDrive or pCloud.

Two things happen. To start with, the file is saved to that location as an affinity photo file, and secondly, the project record is updated to now be as if you had imported from the cloud.

Now, each time you save from the project, it saves to this new location.

Likewise, you can achieve the same from the project. You can click on the hamburger and click on "save to." This will allow you to choose any legitimate location and it will move the file and update the project entry for the file to reflect the change of location and how the file is updated.

This reduces the complication of working with cloud locations considerably and allows moving files around while not changing the entries in a project or having to move them in the Files app and then re-import them or using Save a Copy and having to re-import them.

Anyway, just a thought. :) 

Maybe I misunderstand you but all my work I save it by “export” and choose where I want to locate the file. (Mostly in the Cloud.) When I want to change the file I’ll choose at de screen New Document the button “From iCloud” and download it. I never use “save”.  Working with Affinity Photo at the iPad Pro 12”.

iMac 27", iPad Pro 12,9", Apple Pencil.

At the moment, as far as I can see, if you create a new doc, if you save by export you now have two versions. The exported version wherever that is, plus the original one still in the dashboard of Affinity photo/designer.  So, to save confusion, you now need to get rid of the original, and then import your exported version. And so on.

What I am suggesting is streamlining that process.

On a fun little learning curve with Affinity. Or a vector curve. One of the two. Just a writer learning to draw.