You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

page numbers

Hi there 

not sure if this has been addressed ............. when I propagate page numbers the numbers only show up on even numbers, even after selecting all pages ........... I think this is a bug !!!

Also, when I go to the tutorials they do not seem to be updated to the current version.

Red

1 hour ago, Colin red said:

Hi there 

not sure if this has been addressed ............. when I propagate page numbers the numbers only show up on even numbers, even after selecting all pages ........... I think this is a bug !!!

Also, when I go to the tutorials they do not seem to be updated to the current version.

Red

Are you using Text > Insert > Fields > Page Number or are you using the Fields Studio to place the Page Number fields on the Master page? Did you apply the Master Page to all the pages? Are you sure you are placing Page Number and not Next/Previous Frame Page Number?

It works as expected here on my machines.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi Bruce,

I am using "Text > Insert > Fields > Page Number " and I have applied the "Master Page Setting" ........... I am NOT using the  "Fields Studio"

I normally try to use the "Facing Page Setup". But I have just checked using "Single Page Setup" and that appears to working fine. Perhaps the "Facing Pages Setup" is a problem

I am on a Mac using .......High Sierra version 10.13.6

thanks for your reply

4 hours ago, Colin red said:

Hi Bruce,

I am using "Text > Insert > Fields > Page Number " and I have applied the "Master Page Setting" ........... I am NOT using the  "Fields Studio"

I normally try to use the "Facing Page Setup". But I have just checked using "Single Page Setup" and that appears to working fine. Perhaps the "Facing Pages Setup" is a problem

I am on a Mac using .......High Sierra version 10.13.6

thanks for your reply

There is a Publisher tutorial about page numbering that shows how to get this working correctly, but I had to watch it several times with my nose pressed to the computer screen before I caught the trick.  It was toward the end of the tutorial and very brief.  For facing numbered  document pages you first make a text block on the LEFT  Master Page of a   2-page spread, and then use Text>Insert>Fields>Page Number for page number 1.  Which is counter intuitive.   Shouldn’t page 1 be a right facing page?   Then you drag a copy of  that text block over to the right Master Page  and deposit it where you want the number to appear and the next number (2) pops in.    At least that is the way I remember doing it, although I am not at my MAC (Sierra) right now.    Sounds odd, but why not look at the tutorial to check.   If this IS the way then your facing document pages will all be correctly numbered.   The first single page will be 1.  The first  and following facing page spreads will be 2-3, etc.   I will  check this tomorrow and get back here if I need to correct this.    That is, if one of the technical support people at Affinity haven’t provided you with a more elegant way to do this.

Page numbering is working beautifully for me.    Cheers!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

12 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

For facing numbered  document pages you first make a text block on the LEFT  Master Page of a   2-page spread, and then use Text>Insert>Fields>Page Number for page number 1.  Which is counter intuitive.   Shouldn’t page 1 be a right facing page?   Then you drag a copy of  that text block over to the right Master Page  and deposit it where you want the number to appear and the next number (2) pops in.  

That is a "Wait, what just happened?" moment. Even worse is if you have three Masters and the page numbers are on the third master. Numbering starts at 5 on the left page. I have taken to having the Fields hi lighted just so I don't freak.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Hi 

We should not have to make workarounds after all this a Beta.  I followed the instructions per the official Affinity video. So I respectively ask for an Affinity Program Person to step in on this conversation and have the matter checked. I would think that is fair to ask.

Thankyou

Jmwellborn

confession.....your instructions per the video are correct......and yes hard to catch........

However when adding page numbers to a 2 page spread as opposed to a single page spread would you not think that the process should automatically number all pages without the need for duplicating to the other facing pages. Evidently this is not a bug but perhaps hopefully in a future rendition of the app something that could be improved on.  Thank you in advance Affinity team :)

Red

14 minutes ago, Colin red said:

Jmwellborn

confession.....your instructions per the video are correct......and yes hard to catch........

However when adding page numbers to a 2 page spread as opposed to a single page spread would you not think that the process should automatically number all pages without the need for duplicating to the other facing pages. Evidently this is not a bug but perhaps hopefully in a future rendition of the app something that could be improved on.  Thank you in advance Affinity team :)

Red

Yes.    I definitely think it is in an infant stage.    It would be nice if eventually we could have something like the old Pagemaker/InDesign feature.    You put a page number marker (i.e. LP or RP) on each Master Page where you want the respective document pages to show a page number ).   Then you have  menu options for the numbering itself that are set to work with those markers.   Things like "starting number" (i.e.1 or 23, or 49, or whatever) and "style" (i.e. i, ii, iii, or 1, 2, 3, or I, IV, XI, etc.) so that a document can be numbered alone, or as a part of a sequential group of documents each continuing on with the page numbering of the one before.   Probably describing this as clearly as mud, but hopefully the Affinities will understand.    

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

2 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

Things like "starting number" (i.e.1 or 23, or 49, or whatever) and "style" (i.e. i, ii, iii, or 1, 2, 3, or I, IV, XI, etc.) so that a document can be numbered alone, or as a part of a sequential group of documents each continuing on with the page numbering of the one before.   Probably describing this as clearly as mud, but hopefully the Affinities will understand.    

See Document > Section Manager for starting # and style.

5 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

See Document > Section Manager for starting # and style.

I know.  Use them.     I believe I said “then you have,” when I could have said “then you use.”     

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.