Arbarus

Tool Bar moved off screen and inaccessible

Posted (edited)

Hi

Further to my previous post I've finally got chance to get back into Affinity Photo in order to check the previous issue with the View Tool but have now got the situation where the various of the Tool Bars have moved of screen and cannot be returned to a useable location. This occurred when going from standard to separated mode. I have toggled though the windows and view options but to no avail and once again the only solution seems to be to close and restart (which isn't ideal)

Am I missing something here? There does seem to be mention of this from 2015 but nothing in the forum re a solution.

Screenshot of the off-screen toolbar attached FYI.

Again many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 13.44.53.png

Edited by Arbarus
mistyping - edited for clarity

Hi Gabriel

I had tried toggling the modes (sorry wrote windows in the original post - still getting my head onto the Affinity Photo jargon) but it had no effect. Shutting down Affinity Photo and restoring it was the only solution. 

I'm working across two screens so opening onto the righthand screen then dragging the 'Separated' screen across to the left (where the problem manifested) seems to be working... Basically there was no way to get the cursor to drag the abberant window back into place as it was way offscreen so I wonder if this is a mac OS glitch?

Will post again if it reoccurs.

cheers

Richard

I haven't used multiple monitors for quite a while but there used to be a way of toggling the windows onto one screen at a 'useful' size using the System Preferences > Display panel in the finder.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.12.6

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 | Affinity Photo 1.6.7 | Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.257 | Affinity Photo beta 1.7.0.112 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.0.7

12 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I haven't used multiple monitors for quite a while but there used to be a way of toggling the windows onto one screen at a 'useful' size using the System Preferences > Display panel in the finder.

Hi Old Bruce, I use two screens as standard (as my workflow isn't that organised so have too many bits open at once) and microsoft word used to have a similar off screen windows glitch which the 'zoom window' solved - there doesn't seem to be this option in Affinity + El Cap. I'll have a look into the Display preferences panel but as far as I know it only gathers or detects displays. 

49 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Our developers are aware of this issue.

When you say restore, is that just closing down Affinity are re-opening it? Or CTRL + Run? 

Hi GabrielM, from your reply I guess this may be an Affinity vs Mac OS issue? 

Sorry, I'm unsure as to what is defined as a 'restore'  but I completely closed and reopened Affinity Photo. I then reopened it onto my right hand screen, then 'separated' and dragged to the left hand screen. This seemed to work (which is what makes me suspect it may be a mac osx vs display setup as much as an Affinity Photo glitch.)

I've not encountered the CTRL + Run option - could you elaborate on it and I'll give it a try?

I should have chance to play with Affinity Photo later today so will see if I can replicated the issue and will post again if I can.

many thanks

Richard

If that works for you ( restarting the program) , even better. 

CTRL + RUN gives you a menu where you can reset the app's settings. Have a look here:

HI GabrielM 

Restarting the programme worked to solve the problem but doesn't really work as regards working and completing the task that I'm using Affinity Photo for... (especially as everything has to be saved etc)

I'll have a try of the CTRL + RUN as well and see what that does.

many thanks

Richard

Just make sure you back up your settings beforehand: 

Alternatively, you can just Open Finder. Click on Go > Go to Folder > ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner/Data/Library/Application Support/ and rename the user folder to user.backup

Hi GabrielM 

Willdo! I've not setup Affinity Photo to any extent yet as still playing /learning before using it in earnest. 

Assume I can edit the settings doc 'manually' in a text editor for more fun...

cheers

Richard